engine temperatures

One of the mopeds I own is a 1980 Puch Sport MKII, has the 2hp za50. It's all stock, what should be an acceptable temperature range for the engine to run at?

I've kind of seen numbers all over but they are for modified engines.

Re: engine temperatures

Overpriced Parts /

Try for 400° F (head temps with a trail tech temperature gauge nothing else used as a gauge) or less no matter what conditions: full throttle for five minutes uphill for five minutes 100f air temps .

So many people say my bike runs 350° Blah blah but yeah they only hold it down for one block. hold the throttle pinned for five minutes then see what the head temps are or go up two mile long uphill and see.

Puch K-star runs 378 on flats @ WOT with 250lbs rider. Monster hills my temp slowly climbs at WOT but Ive never broke 420.

I would not mind seeing an engine temperature chart of some kind in the wiki...

ken, i totally agree on the uphill pull for a long stretch to net max temps,

except cooler ambients will net you higher temps due to the denser air.

"cooler ambient will net you higher temps due to the denser air"

More dense air will lead to leaner mixture but also will it not help extract more heat from the engine via air cooling?

Thanks all, ran today about 20 miles checking periodically with a temp gun. And was getting about 230-264 on the head and 290-325 at the header.

Overpriced Parts /

Tyler Kerr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks all, ran today about 20 miles checking

> periodically with a temp gun. And was getting

> about 230-264 on the head and 290-325 at the

> header.

Did you read what I said the only thing that counts is a trail tech temperature gauge with spark plug sensor. A gun so unaccurate it's not funny

I know I used one I got from work before .

With the gun pointed it was reading 275 F in actuality I was over 400° At wide full throttle at the plug sensor so yeah you're doing it absolutely wrong

I dont have the money for anything else now, this is the temp gun i use in my shop for working on cars and its usually only ever reads about 5-10 degrees below. i checked it against other temperature gauges I've tested it against other temperature gauges on cars from time to time. when i boil water on the stove it will read about 207 which isnt far off from the 212 its at. so for now its all i have to go on

Try to make sure the gun is not getting a false reading by sensing off the ends of the fins or some other point that is not the actual head temp. Use it on a few other peds to see how it reads. A good gun, reading at the right place should be very close to a head gauge.

Dirty30 Dillon /

peter heid Wrote:

> Try to make sure the gun is not getting a false

> reading by sensing off the ends of the fins or

> some other point that is not the actual head temp.

> Use it on a few other peds to see how it reads.

> A good gun, reading at the right place should be

> very close to a head gauge.

This, the gun will work, but only if it's reading right where it needs to, not bouncing all over the fins.

And you can't get feedback while your riding which is probably more important than anything.

Tom Hale Wrote:

> "cooler ambient will net you higher temps due to

> the denser air"

>

> More dense air will lead to leaner mixture but

> also will it not help extract more heat from the

> engine via air cooling?

Yes but not nearly in the same proportion. The leaner running will cause far more heat than the air will cool.

I prefer the Tim-O-pizza-oven-finger method.

I have used a gun to compare it to the Trail Tech gauge and get very similar readings.

There are two problems with the gun however.

First you have to move it around to get the highest temp which is what the Trail tech is reading and the correct temp.

The other issue is the fact you must be stopped and do not get a true reading of what the temps were at WOT.

Overpriced Parts /

Tom Hale Wrote:

> I have used a gun to compare it to the Trail Tech

> gauge and get very similar readings.

>

> There are two problems with the gun however.

> First you have to move it around to get the

> highest temp which is what the Trail tech is

> reading and the correct temp.

> The other issue is the fact you must be stopped

> and do not get a true reading of what the temps

> were at WOT.

So like I said it don't work for doink.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account