87 Trac problems

Vegasjetta @Clusterfuck Garage /

Yea I know, it's a Trac. Thanks South Korea.

It runs, barely.

With the spark plug out and resting on the head, if you turn the motor over slowly with the pedals, it doesn't get spark. If you crank it HARD, the spark comes to life. I can get it to run by stomping on the pedal REALLY hard. The battery is there and hooked up, but it's not in the best condition. Once it runs, all the lights work properly.

Now on to the running issue... it will run on starting fluid and die out once it eats that all up. I pulled the carb apart and it was spotless, but the fuel lines were all shitty and there was old gas in the tank. Not sure if something got back in the carb after I cleaned it, replaced one fuel line, and put new gas in.

I had it running enough to ride around the block but then it died out, and I need it running. I will replace the fuel lines and clean the tank out again, and maybe pull the carb apart again, but I am not sure what's going on with the spark issue.

Any insight?

Re: 87 Trac problems

Vegasjetta @Clusterfuck Garage /

Tough crowd...

Double Trouble Dan /

three separate issues

Clean the points with alcohol or contact cleaner or brake cleaner and a little 400 grit sand paper first.

If that doesn't work to get a bright spark, your condenser is going bad.

It sounds like the float needle is sticking or residual dirt from the old gas clogging the jet. Take some rubbing compound on a q-tip and clean the bore where the needle fits and/or replace the float needle. Clean the jet with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Patrick Keaton /

87 Tracs didn't have points and a condenser,they had CDI ignition.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Pull the petcock out and clean it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account