Moped Won't crank!!! Video inside!

Jordan Warren /

So this guy traded me what seemed like an awesom Denali Romet 50cc Moped. STarted at the time, but had to kickstart it because he battery was low.

I ordered a trickle charger, charged the battery fully and now all the turn signals work, the lights are back on, the battery is working, but when i go to push start the thing, it wont turn over...

I checked the oil and gas, both good. Refilled the gas all the way just in case.

But wondering what the issues to explore might be...I was riding this thing all around 2 weeks ago, I'm hoping it's a simple fix. The thing is a 2014 with only 1,500 miles on it. Seems to be in good condition except for this issue now...

Video below!

Re: Moped Won't crank!!! Video inside!

Sounds like you're out of headlight fluid or maybe your rear wheel differential may be leaking

Jordan Warren /

why would headlight fluid prevent it from starting...?

I don't see any leaks, is there any reference that can show me how to check the rear wheel differential fluid?

Rick Bergsma /

1 . That is a scooter not a moped .

2 . You were cranking the shit out of it , it wouldn't fire .

3 . You are going to burn out your starter if you keep doing that .

4 . Is the kill switch turned on ?

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/How_to_tell_if_you%27ve_got_a_moped

Jordan Warren /

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Okay...noted

2.I know that it won't fire. I'm not cranking it, it's a push button start. I was holding it down for the sake of filming so someone might be able to better address the issue.

3. Again, I understand it's not ideal to start a moped like this, just wondering why mine is doing it...

4. No, the kill switch is not turned on.

the push start runs the starter. If you keep holding it youre going to need a new starter

What he means is that if you hold the starter button down for long periods (more than a few seconds) the starter heats up and can burn out. That scooter probably has a 4 stroke gy6 motor, so anyone on a scooter forum familiar with that motor can probably help. Some of these Chinese bikes seem to have a high rate of cdi failure. That would be the first thing I'd check. If your kick start wont work its probably jammed, also not an uncommon issue with these type of bikes. Once your sure the ignition is in order and it still wont start move on to fuel. Make sure the petcock flows fuel when you crank it over, its vacuum operated. Then clean the carburetor, making sure to clean the jets and all the small passages. If that doesn't help test the compression, and while you're at it set the valves just to eliminate that from the variables. You might try a forum like scootdawg.

Jordan Warren /

guys... I appreciate the tip for the starter. I am aware it is not good to hold that down.

I am asking if anyone knows anything about the possibilities for why it might be doing this...

Any thoughts?

Kiel the Canuck /

Jordan Warren Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> guys... I appreciate the tip for the starter. I am

> aware it is not good to hold that down.

>

> I am asking if anyone knows anything about the

> possibilities for why it might be doing this...

>

> Any thoughts?

What you need for an engine to work (all at the right time)

Fuel mixture

Compression

Ignition

I would suggest you go to a scooter forum for assistance with confirming each of these things.

Jordan Warren /

Hey thanks everyone for your replies.

I got it to start and now it runs like a charm. Not really sure at all what the issue was...

I put the battery back in the moped after re-charging...maybe it had to sit for a couple days?

Not sure, but thanks everyone!

Possibly a loose wire or connector.

You do know that the fuel petcock works on vacuum...If there is the slightest leak in that line or diaphram it WON'T START...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account