Learning Moped Repair

I recently got the Moped bug after riding once and went ahead and bought a 1998 Tomos Targa LX. Rode it around a few times and now it doesn't want to stay running. I've been reading over the forums looking for a solution and it appears that in general mopeds really have a few very common issues that you walk through when dealing with them. I've downloaded the shop manual for my model which walks through this too.

My problem though is that I have very little mechanical experience in general and things that I'm sure other people take for granted like saying "change your spark plug" "it's the condensor" or "clean the carb" are just pretty foreign to me.

I'm really trying to find out if there's any courses, trainers, or anyone else who can work with beginners to teach them this kind of thing. I'll pay someone who's local to teach me the ropes if needed, thanks,

Re: Learning Moped Repair

Start here, Fred's Guide is a good place to start. Wiki has a lot more in it. .http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:For_Newbies

When you run across a term you don't know i recommend using youtube to find a video of the procedure. Otherwise... what has worked best for me is pick a bike (i chose a honda noped), get the service manual, read it cover to cover (maybe a little bathroom reading), don't worry if you don't understand it just keep reading. Now start doing the recommended maintenance (even if the bike doesnt run) according to the methods in the manual. When you run into trouble.. back to youtube. If that doesnt help, now you can safely post on moped army because you tried, know what to call things, can detail what didn't work, etc. RINSE AND REPEAT until your bike runs and you know most of what there is to know about that particular bike. It comes down to this... you need AIR, FUEL, and Electricity... and this applies to pretty much every bike out there. I was in your position just a few years ago and I know how overwhelming it is. The good thing is you will soon know a good deal about at least one type of bike and that will apply to other bikes, cars, lawn mowers, and general problem solving skills. You will no longer be afraid to jump in and try to fix shit. its awesome. Just remember, some human made it, some human broke it, and some human can fix it again. If you have desire, a brain, basic tools, and can ride... you can probably fix a moped/noped/scooter

---- Corey B ---- /

All I know to say is read. Lots of it. Search for things you want to learn. Read do it yourselfs even if it doesn't pertain to your bike. Watch videos. Even if it's not a problem your having currently, at some point down the line you'll have it and you'll have that article in your memory at least to give you an idea. All my mechanics have been learned through reading, barely any true experience, and it's helped a lot when it comes to trouble shooting. If you know how something works, you can usually figure out how it comes apart, goes together, and what your looking for when it comes to needing maintenance. Good luck, mopeds can be a bitch at times but you'll always love them now that your hooked

Yep, study up on it and be willing to get your hands dirty. Oh, and accept the fact your going to break things. That's what really teaches you, fixing the shit you broke while you were trying to learn how to fix the bike.

Thanks Steve this is really helpful!

Glad to hear it, just went for a short ride to the drug store and mine died no spark, later Ill go figure out what went wrong but not right now.

do what you can, then plan to attend CBBG 5

seriously the best opportunity to fan the flames of the bug you've caught.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

damn, i am still waiting for my diploma from the hienkel and schmitt overseas correspondance course for zepplin repair.

I found out why I have no spark The light coil got hit and was pulled out along with everything else. I think epoxy and longer screws will fix it. I might have to epoxy the stator in place as some of the mounting points are gone.

stator damage 013.JPG
stator damage 015.JPG
stator damage 017.JPG
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account