Wtf

---- Corey B ---- /

I'm getting pissed. 1980 tomos bullet with puch high torque cylinder, 14mm bing carb from a korado, and a filter from treats.... I had it running great with the stock korado setup which is a 60 jet. Plug looked awesome. Then I developed an air leak to the point it barely would run. Just fixed that and now it won't start at all with a 60 jet or a 50 jet and the plug is wet as fuck with both. How could it be wet with a tiny ass 50 jet. I'm sick of figuring out this carburator shit where are the tuning gods I need help ASAP I just wanna rideeeeeeeeee I'm here in ocmd for H20i and the bitch won't run

Re: Wtf

Check your float level and be sure the float needle is sealing.

^ new crankshaft seals?..

---- Corey B ---- /

I've had the carb torn apart a million times everything is great. That sounds like the correct jet range right? Or am I going crazy. So lost

Leaky seals would cause it to be lean right?

Patrick Keaton /

Put a dry spark plug in it and/or a spark plug that is known to start an engine.

Wet spark plugs sometimes will not start an engine.

yea it might just have gotten rich nuf that it's fouled itself and causin other troubles. timing still good? could near well be anythin

---- Corey B ---- /

Timing good. Fuel good. Has spark. Have cleaned carb a bazillion times the smell of gas is getting disgusting. bought a new spark plug, I'm going to put it in and see if it starts and how it's running with the 60 jet. I just don't understand why plugs would be getting wet even with a 50 jet. Doesn't make sense to me but then again I'm not pro at tuning carbs obviously :p

how old are the crankshaft seals.. you could be sucking in oil from the gearbox!

if the crankshaft are oem.. or 20 yrs old.. change them out .. for good peace of minD!

---- Corey B ---- /

No idea unfortunately. I'd like to think they were done But I haven't opened anything up yet since I bought it. The puch high torque cylinder was put on it by the previous owner so maybe, but unlikely haha. My oil level doesn't seem to be dropping, would that be a sign that they've gone bad?

Simon Belmont /

Try applying a thin layer of fuel resistant gasket dressing in between where the carburetor bowl attaches and another thin layer at the top where the gasket goes, you can also try applying some dressing around the gaskets between cylinder head hopefully it will help stop air-leaks in those areas.

I did that on my Tomos A35 and it helped. (edited)

---- Corey B ---- /

I'll have to try that. With a new plug, and the 50 jet, didn't get it even attempting to run. I gues I'll throw the 60 jet in tmrw and see what happens, after that I have no idea

Patrick Keaton /

After that,if you have enough compression, my thoughts would be at least one air leak and/or at least one leaking seal.

---- Corey B ---- /

Tried the 60 jet, with the new plug, along with the needle in multiple positions, and her are my results..... After changing jets to the 60 and putting the carb back on, it started right up but was going mad fast for a bit and then shut off. I noticed the fuel was off so I thought sweet I got it running I just need to turn the fuel on. Turned the fuel on and again I haven't been able to start it. Leak wise it had new exhaust gasket. New intake gasket. And what looks to be pretty new cylinder gaskets from previous owner. Also bottom and top carb gaskets. Where else could it be leaking from if it's a leak? I'm starting to think a 50 or 60 jet isn't the correct jet but I don't see how it could be around any other range. Thank you for everyone's help so far, any simple things I can look at anymore before checking seals?

Patrick Keaton /

Put the spark plug that ran briefly in another moped or engine to make sure it will still start an engine.Then if it does,put the spark plug back in and try to start the moped with gas on or in the reserve position. Do not use the choke at first. If none of this works,take off the exhaust manifold,and try to start it.

If it started with fuel off then it was starting and running lean, you opened up the fuel supplyand the bowl filled making it richer. If it didn't start that way then short of bad crank seals I would say again that your float needle isn't sealing and the bike is overly rich or flooded with fuel.

Does it start with the choke on, run high then die? If the choke is off it won't start at all? That's crank seals.

Simon Belmont /

If your carb needle is leaking/going bad you could try this spring loaded needle from treats , it works great, purchased and installed it because I think I destroyed the original one by pouring seafoam into carb. in a lazy/futile attempt to clean the carburetor without taking it off.

But anyway that spring loaded needle works great. (edited)

I've been trying to get this carb going myself on my Trac. The Idle Jet is tiny on this thing double check to make sure it is clear. Mine was clogged and it gets clogged very often.

Where the choke cable goes in sucks air, so make sure to check for air leak there, when I had the engine running and I covered the the front of the carb, lots of air was pulsing in and out of it.

There are rubber parts in the main jet tube and the idle, double check the Korado Wiki, there is a diagram there of the carb. Make sure you have yours.

Let me know if you figure out how to tune the air valve. I can never get it right.

When the float needle doesn't sit right it DUMPS gas out, the float is also very sensitive.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account