Express dies with air filter

My Express II runs like a champ without the air filter. Today I installed a new filter element and the moped just dies or at best four strokes its way to 20 mph and fills up the air box with fuel. I tried cleaning out the muffler with sea foam and a heat gun (lots of smoke) and I also took apart the carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner. Any ideas?

Re: Express dies with air filter

try cooking the muffler on a bbq grill or open fire. I've never seen a muffler cleaned out with seafoam, not saying it can't be done, just saying I never seen it.

Darrell Gabbard /

did you buy it like that? did a previous owner up jet the carb and run with out the filter but oiled up the box to catch dirt.

It came with a briggs and stratten air filter cut to fit. It has always run better without the filter. I tried reducing the size of the filter by cutting it smaller and then it runs better but still causes four stroking as well.

Seafoam and a heat gun won't do a damn thing for the exhaust. Throw it in a fire pit for at least 30 min, then knock the carbon out while flushing it with lots of water. If your filter is getting saturated with fuel would be the excessive back pressure causing reversion through the carb and spitting fuel back, then sucking a very rich mixture through. (edited)

Does it have auto-choke or could the mechanical choke be stuck in carb?Sounds like a choke problem. don-ohio (:^)

Brent Bublitz /

Yep. Exhaust. I have three Expresses in the garage now. Two have the exhaust so clogged up I can't even blow through it. Third one is pretty bad, but runs without an air filter. These bikes run ridiculously rich at the factory settings.

Brent Bublitz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yep. Exhaust. I have three Expresses in the garage

> now. Two have the exhaust so clogged up I can't

> even blow through it. Third one is pretty bad, but

> runs without an air filter. These bikes run

> ridiculously rich at the factory settings.

Just curious if you have tried the fire pit technique on any of your Express mufflers?

Briggs & Stratton foam filter? To restrictive.

Steve Clark Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Briggs & Stratton foam filter? To restrictive.

I tried cutting several different shapes, one being extremely small and covering only the opening to the carb and still no luck.

The foam is to closed up.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account