a35 oil plug issues

kyle routhier /

The transmission case where the drain plug attaches is stripped. Can anyone explain to me the repairing procedure . If I remove the case do I need new gaskets? Thanks in advance

Re: a35 oil plug issues

Simon Belmont /

When removing the cover, if the existing gasket isn't ripped, I just used "permashield fuel resistant gasket dressing" and applied thin layer of it onto existing gasket, also if you stripped the hole where the drain bolt goes, not to worry, just buy "tap and hex die set" at your local hardware store to make a new hole and buy a matching bolt size for the hole that you've made (make sure you re-thread a hole that is similar to the one you had before as close as possible).

P.S. I've used Tap and Hex Die set to re-thread the studs that hold cylinder head on an A35 engine and it worked, purchased "Dewalt" set at home-depot. (edited)

I ran into the same issue recently. The solution wasn't cheap. I bought these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SREP4/

and it worked like a charm. It allows you to use the stock screw still. For $20 you can buy a whole new front cover but it is hard to find them up for sale. Still is also a more permanent fix since the helicoil threads are stainless steel. It sucks that you have to pay 20 bucks when you only need one coil though.

But another tranny side case??

kyle routhier /

Hi everyone problem solved, I ended up winging it before I could see post replies, also with help from my group Psyclomoteur Montreal. I ended up removing cover , luckily noticed washers stuck to the inside cover. Bored hole to 11/32 and tapped 3/8. Used brass bolt and hacksawed the length . Used a perfect fitting tiny o ring as washer.

John Joedicke /

Buy a 3/8 crush washer at auto supply place. The o ring will fail!

Simon Belmont /

That's good!

What I did was use an old bicycle tube to cut a custom rubber washer and use that with the oil screw, works just fine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account