getting a frozen bolt loose--ideas?

Captain Janeway /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I'm trying to get the head off my engine to change a leaky gasket and am looking for ideas:

I just want to get the head off, but I have a choke box in the way that just won't loosen on one side. I tried an open end wrench and it started to strip corners on one of the bolts. The space there is too tight to get my socket wrench in. I'm about ready to run down to the hardware store to buy a closed head wrench, but I don't know if that will continue to strip. I already soaked it good in liquid wrench.

The only other option is getting the hoses attached to the head off, but they're not budging. There's not enough slack in them to trim them off and just reattach after.

So, any ideas on the bolt or hoses? I don't want to knock cylinder out of place because I don't want to reset the cylinder, put on new gaskets there, etc. I don't think I can wiggle the head out to change the gasket without bumping the cylinder, and I want to clean the head surface properly.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account