Puch stator coils

kim jensen /

OK, so I have a voltage regulator on the main lighting coil for the headlight, but my taillight keeps blowing. I assume that one of the small coils on top of the main coils is powering the taillight?

So can I also hook the regulator up to this output terminal with a jumper effectively joining the small coils output with the main lighting coil and regulate both.

OR would this send too much power back to the tail and or damage the main coil?

I know most of you hardwire and ignore the small coils, but hey its a moped and I need as much headlight power as I can get! LOL.

Just don't want to short out the main coil in the process. It is A/C and it all returns via frame ground anyways, right?

Anyways, has anyone tried to regulate both in this way or should I just hook up a 2nd regulator to that small coil?

Re: Puch stator coils

Overpriced Parts /

Hardwiring a 6 wire Puch stator is completely wrong. You need all three lighting coils (21w for headlight/speedo light, 10w for brake light and 5w for tail light) for to it to be a self regulating system.

The coils energize each other too so by running everything off one coil you will have a poor lighting system that will have very dim lights at idle and short coil life. It's just a dumb thing to do.

Whoever put that hardwiring a puch in the wiki knows little about how the electrial system was designed and caused much grief to me trying to repair the damage friends and others did to their bikes by hardwiring them per wiki directions.

This six wire puch electrical system is the best of any mopeds. It don't need a regulator or resistors and doesn't have the ignition wired into the circuit so if you burn out a light you don't lose spark like other brandX mopeds.

If you don't have a wiring harness post on Buy+sell for a used wiring harness and wire your bike to correct way.

I got puch bikes that have original harness and 35 year old bulbs in them that all work fine. Best moped wiring system ever.

kim jensen /

Thanks Ken, yeah I think it is a good system. I have tried to insulate my taillight assembly from vibration and I have it wired stock, but I keep blowing taillights. How do I regulate the 6v 5w bulb? Grounds and contacts seem good.

kim jensen /

Checked all the wiring and contacts, put a new 13.5v bulb in the taillight and it blew within minutes! Taillight is hooked up to the correct grey wire coming out of the stator. How is this little 6v coil blowing these bulbs??

Overpriced Parts /

kim jensen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Checked all the wiring and contacts, put a new

> 13.5v bulb in the taillight and it blew within

> minutes! Taillight is hooked up to the correct

> grey wire coming out of the stator. How is this

> little 6v coil blowing these bulbs??

Do you have complete stock wiring with complete stock harness or same gauge and length wire for Harness substitute?

If coils arn't connected exactly the same way same type wire they will not self regulate.

Sometimes though if it's just the tail light nothing else then you have to go with a different taillight bulb. I found a 7.5 W 12 V bulb at Walmart automotive section that does not blow and it's not too much power drain to blow the coil. I've used one of those on a kitted bike that made hi rpm and ate bulbs.

You could try one of those but higher watt will be dim at idle and may burn coil.

If you have a bad ground then the coil will spike voltage when disconnected for that second second and when the bulb flickers back connected it will blow .

kim jensen /

Fuck this thing! Ran all new wires back to the tail. Found a bare spot on the former taillight wire and thought for sure shorting was causing my problem. Put a new 13.5v bulb in and it blew instantly!

WTF?

Voltage meter tells me nothing. Just random bounces A/C D/C settings, doesn't matter. At the light or the terminal.

What the hell is going on and how do I measure, let alone fix this?

kim jensen /

Ground on fender should be fine, just had it off. I'll try adding another ground at the terminal. Unless the coil itself has a bad ground wire connection. I suppose I'll have to pull the flywheel next to check. What guage wire should I run back to the tail

I just ran some 16 guage, should I have used 18?

Thanks Ken!

kim jensen /

Wow, this keeps going from bad to worse!

Now apparently I have no power to the taillight at all?

Did the heavier 16 guage wire overload the coil?

Kinda doubtful, but flywheel comes off for sure now.

MOPEDS! They are all driving me nuts!

Definitely look at the stator. That's my next move - random and complete loss of spark on this end, seemingly no cause. Maybe a soldering point vibrated loose? on-off spikes of power might be causing the bulbs to blow, might have actually given out completely. Give 'er a look -you can always put it back together again!

kim jensen /

Yeah, I had the ground come off of my tomos light coil that I had to solder back on. For the moment tail is hooked to main light coil. Hope it doesn't blow that!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account