Evapor rust blowwwwws, muriatic help plz?

Sooo i used evaporust in my maxis gas tank about two weeks ago, i followed the instructions on the wiki to the T even left the treatment in for 7 days (alot longer than recomended), yet a week later i still have tons of sediment (rust, no dirt)... Enough of me bitching...

Now onto my real question where can i get some nalgene tubing localy to plug off the end of my gas tank when using the muriatic acid or is there something else i can use to do this???

Re: Evapor rust blowwwwws, muriatic help plz?

I have a maxi, aka a step through with the tank molded into the frame, this would be ridicolously hard to not ground out on the side of the tank

but i do appreciate the suggestion

Double Trouble Dan /

I use the hose/ tubing that comes with a pressure washer injector . It fits over an 11mm or 12 MM petcock hole and is impervious to chemicals. 5/16 fuel line is fine too as long as the hose has reinforcing mesh , it will work.

heat it so it will stretch on and clamp it with a hose clamp.

I have also used this instead of a petcock when in a pinch. Fit a 3/16 hose inside it and connect to the carburetor.

Electrolysis will work fine on your bike. get some non-galvanized rebar /redod and cover most of it except part of the tip with a section of garden hose so it will not ground out. You can bend it so it will slid all th way inside your tank.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I use a cork stopper. Any hardware store sells them.

Overpriced Parts /

Muriatic acid one part to two parts water leave in for a few hrs rinse with soda water than regular water then alcohol then blow with compressed air. Put gas oil mixture in it right away to keep from flash rusting .

how are your results, just wondering cause i see you helping guys out all the time and figuire you must be a guru

Did you degrease the tank beforehand? Evaporust is a chelating agent not an acid. It's considered to be safe and environmentally friendly, that's why its popular. It also doesn't attack the non rusted iron which is a plus. Acids will be more aggressive, acetic acid (white vinegar, phosphoric acid, muratic acid, etc are often used.

i rinsed it about 12-15 times with hot soap water, im gonna go with chemical degreaser this time, dont get me wrong the evaporust worked decently well enough but not with the quality that would be required for a gas tank it got alot of shit out but just not enough... maybe on small cast iron odds and ends

Will electrolosys remove the rust sediment at the bottom of my tank?

Brent Bublitz /

no, electrolysis is not good for heavy deposits or crusty crud. It's one of the more useless methods people inexplicably love. Acid is where it's at.

Use acid, every other product is just watered down acid that costs lots more and doesn't work as well.

Use the right precautions to drain the tank and it's very safe.

http://mopedhq.blogspot.com/2009/09/moped-tank-rust-removal.html

So will the acid get all that silty sediment shit out, im just really sick of having to clean my carb every other ride

πΏπ‘–π‘˜π‘Ž-πΏπ‘œπ‘‘π‘Žπ‘ π‘Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘€π‘’π‘”π‘Žπ‘π‘’π‘  πŸ¦– /

i put my whole tank in a container filled with muratic acid. it took the rust off alright, and the 25 year old powder down to the bone. clean as a whistle. i rinsed it and dryed it and brought it inside so it is in temp control now.

Overpriced Parts /

Jrad Bzms Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So will the acid get all that silty sediment shit

> out, im just really sick of having to clean my

> carb every other ride

I've been using it for decades. You can't leave it in there too long or it will eat all the way through and you can't leave it in there too short of a time because it won't do nothing. You kinda have to have a feel for it .

If it has gas oil mixture in it now you have to preclean with brake parts cleaner or solvent like lacquer thinner before you acid it. Protect the tank good don't get any solvent or acid on the paint.

Double Trouble Dan /

Use the works toilet bowl cleaner. 9.5% hydrochloric acid. $2.75 for a half gallon 2 quart pack at wally world. Leave in an hour and rinse good.

If all that rinsing didn't get the sediment out it must be really bad. If it's all varnished up at the bottom you might need to use a solvent. If there was a thick layer of rust flaking off the walls it could have just ran out of catalyst, evaporust does loose it's effectiveness after enough use.

Evaporust has always been great for me.....

However, you do you have to really rinse out all of the all dried up gas/oil mixture first. 10-15 rinses, I've done 100 or so on a really bad magnum tank. Must've have been filled to the brim with gas before it was left to evaporate.

The evaporust ONLY takes care of the rust.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Put a big-ass fuel filter on it. Done.

Brent Bublitz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> no, electrolysis is not good for heavy deposits or

> crusty crud. It's one of the more useless methods

> people inexplicably love. Acid is where it's at.

nothing inexplicable about it. It's easy, actually quite effective and it doesn't use harsh chemicals that you have to pour into the ground water or take to a dump.

sure evaporust says its biodegradable, but do you really not feel a twinge of guilt pouring it out knowing it'll eventually make it's way into the ground water in one for or another?

I've had pretty great results using vinegar, granted it takes up to a few weeks.

91% rubbing alcohol spot fades your nice paint on contact, use caution.

Soo i used the muriatic and it work better than anything ive ever used its honestly the only thing i would even consider using now.

BUUUUUT i do still have some sediment at the bottom of my tank even after two goes through with the acid, and i used some hardcore degreaser this time too, any tips on how to get this shit out????

sookia sookia /

drop the engine and wheels (so it's lighter), put a bunch of nuts and bolts inthe tank and shake the shit out of it.

Emerica Β  /

Goto the nearest store will pool supplies.

Get spa minus. Get some gloves and mix a bunch with water, pour into the tank, let it sit. It's ph reducer, it's really cheap and it's easy to work with, usually pellet form. You can get it just about any hardware store probably.

If I remember right though when it mixes with water you get sulphuric acid.

Then you can neutralize it and put it down the sink

sound like alot of caustic fun!

If it's varnished bad,you might need xylol to melt it,or even steam heat.don-ohio (:^)

Dirty30 Dillon /

^^^ Xylol or Toluene will pretty much dissolve any kind of hardened chemical/coating.

I know it takes the 100 year old japanning of an otherwise perfect Stanley Bailey hand plane really well.

I've only ever used salt/vinegar to treat my tanks and couldn't be happier. And to dry out your tank after flushing, used DENATURED alcohol, not rubbing alcohol.

Fuck your Boys Club /

The only way to get all the sediment out is to flush it out..

Straight muriatic is totally the way to go though. I swear by the stuff! And you can reuse it a few times.

« Go to Topics β€” end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account