Engine swap??? good or bad idea?

Ok so I bought my garelli ssxl about a year ago now. It was amazing when it ran but it never really ran amazing haha. I just put a new carb on it and I'm trying to tune it to where I can actually ride it around but I'm struggling. It seems to be one issue after another. I have already sunk over $100 into this old engine that I suck at working on..... how hard would it be to just buy a Honda 49cc motor or something similar and just slap a brand new engine on this bad boy? I know very little about these mopeds or small engines really but if I could get a new motor for 400 bucks it's worth the money to me to actually have a moped that runs and is reliable! What do yall think

Re: Engine swap??? good or bad idea?

Overpriced Parts /

No keep with the same brand of engine or fix your own or get another bike. Tryin to do a swap/welding/fabricating with a new China or India motor is going to be so many problems you won't believe. If you're no good at fixing a simple moped engine you'll never be able to do elaborate swap like you're suggesting.

Re: Engine swap??? good or bad idea?

simon thokaar /

theres never anything wrong with putting a minarelli V1 on a bike tho!

Re: Engine swap??? good or bad idea?

Overpriced Parts /

simon thokaar Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> theres never anything wrong with putting a

> minarelli V1 on a bike tho!

Will it fit on his garelli/just bolt on without hacking and welding mounts etc

Re: Engine swap??? good or bad idea?

Brent Bublitz /

The garelli's are easy and generally reliable. What kind of problems are you having?

Re: Engine swap??? good or bad idea?

Ok so Honda motor - no.

Possible engine swap with another similar moped engine yes- but if so I'd want to buy a new one where & what motor should I look for? I'm really into my ssxl I love it but I don't love working on small motors I know little about. If paying 300-500 for a new motor is an option I'd totally be down.

Issues included a million little things like broken tail light causing it to not run, throttle cable needed to be adjusted to let carb close fully onto the idle screw, just got a new carb and I'm realizing that tuning it us not fun and I suck at it and I haven't gotten to ride in like 4 months now!!!! I don't care how much it cost I just want my damn garelli to run!!!

Re: Engine swap??? good or bad idea?

simon thokaar /

Ken Roff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Will it fit on his garelli/just bolt on without

> hacking and welding mounts etc

not really sure.. i can check tomorrow when i go to the shop tho.. buddy has a garelli. A garelli is a good bike tho, get it running, ported and a pipe on it and it'l do 40 all day.

Re: Engine swap??? good or bad idea?

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you're willing to spend 300 to 500 dollars for a new motor, sen dout your current motor for a rebuild to a reputable shop.

You'll be much happier than if you farm out a china motor and everyone scoffs at your blasphemy.

Re: Engine swap??? good or bad idea?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot /

A different motor won't solve the other issues like carb and throttle cable, etc, you just need to fix everything and then triumph in your victory.

Re: Engine swap??? good or bad idea?

Brent Bublitz /

alex blythe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ok so Honda motor - no.

>

> Possible engine swap with another similar moped

> engine yes- but if so I'd want to buy a new one

> where & what motor should I look for? I'm really

> into my ssxl I love it but I don't love working on

> small motors I know little about. If paying

> 300-500 for a new motor is an option I'd totally

> be down.

>

> Issues included a million little things like

> broken tail light causing it to not run, throttle

> cable needed to be adjusted to let carb close

> fully onto the idle screw, just got a new carb and

> I'm realizing that tuning it us not fun and I suck

> at it and I haven't gotten to ride in like 4

> months now!!!! I don't care how much it cost I

> just want my damn garelli to run!!!

swapping in a different motor will only increase your list of problems. All the stuff you are listing are really easy repairs.

The tail light killing the ignition is part of the bike wiring, it's designed that way. You get rid of that issue by hard wiring the bike, or getting a voltage regulator to keep the bulb from blowing.

Throttle cable, replace it.

Tuning a carb? You are going to have to do that on any moped or motor. ANY MOPED MOTOR. replacing the motor won't magically make that a thing of the past.

If those tiny problems are too much for you, you should sell your bike and get something in 100% running shape and commit to taking it to a mechanic once a year.

Re: Engine swap??? good or bad idea?

if you tell us what carb your using, what it is doing now, we can suggest what to check and how to fix. Garelli's are great peds.

check the basics first, ...got spark ?, got gas? points opening ? timing right ? wiring all good? etc.

Re: Engine swap??? good or bad idea?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

oil tank full? working?

incase

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:Garelli

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:Repair_tutorials

also see fred's guide video in the main wiki under newbie

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account