New Peugeot 103 loud POP trying to start

Last week I bought a 78 Peugeot 103 from this dude- he said all that needed replacing was the condenser/coils/points and that then it would be perfect. So Saturday I get the parts in and solder everything up so that it was sparking when I held the spark plug against the cylinder head and gave it a good crank. When I plugged it in though and tried starting it nothing would happen. Like the variator is engaging the flywheel but the engine doesn't start. I later realized this was likely because I left off the filter on the stock gurtner carb- it's in shit condition and doesn't want to stay on. Yesterday I found the missing hardware to it and with a little epoxy got it to stay on the carb. I also checked the exhaust to make sure it wasn't clogged and sprayed some carb cleaner into the gurtner throat. I took the bike outside to start it and when I did I heard a loud POP. No good. I took the flywheel off and noticed the condenser ground (I bought the solder version) was chaffing against the flywheel and some of the wire jacket rubbed off and wire itself was exposed. It also looked like the red wire coming from the lower coil exiting the stator had popped. Now that was stupid of me and I don't know exactly what happened but hopefully I didn't fuck up the coil/condenser/points since I just bought them last week.

I'm also concerned I've been flooding the engine trying to start it repeatedly unsuccessfully....

I took the bike back inside and rewired everything in the magneto. Gave it a crank to check for spark and noticed the points were arching. The spark plug was not giving any spark. It's entirely possible that I got the spark plug wet because I was sweating balls in my apartment garage trying to fix this. In fact I'm kind of hoping the spark plug WAS just wet (I read that arching points can me a symptom of a wet plug) and that I didn't mess up the new condenser etc. Or is that just wishful thinking? Should I just order a new condenser? If the condenser is fucked are the coils/points also? Is it possible the pop was from too much gas flooding the engine? Any tips are appreciated!

Re: New Peugeot 103 loud POP trying to start

simple question: how confident are you in setting the timing correctly?

spare plugs are a must for me.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

if you heard a pop that means your spark was enough to ignite. usually, this is an indication of incorrect timing. make sure your timing is spot on, then give it a try.

Since the pop I have not been able to get a spark at all. I rewired everything in the magneto and checked the connections with a meter. Tip of sparkplug to coil is measuring 5k ohms with the NGK connector, both leads of the condenser (solder type) seem to check out, everything in between..

I do need to have a steady spark before I even begin timing correct?

***Kim Jong illest*** /

pug coils are notorious crap. usually i just put a puch ignition coil on, run it to an external ht coil and go. lots of options here, but if you are a man on a mission, condenser, points gap, blah blah blah normal stuff. remember that french mopeds ground through the frame too.

check the continuity of your ignition coil.

Brent Bublitz /

Your condenser went boom. That's why it's arcing on the points and you have no spark. Replace your condenser.

Double check your timing.

Flooding the motor will keep it from starting, but it's not going to hurt anything.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account