Rookie issue starting motobecane

Motobecane Rookie /

Hi all,

Please bear with me for my first few posts as I try my best to learn moped repair as fast as I can. Currently don't really know any moped jargon either.

My 1977 motobecane, which is a kickstart, isn't kickstarting. When I attempted to kickstart it, the bike chain looking chain spins but the belt connected to the engine does not spin or anything (it's supposed to, right)? I have my moped chained up to a sign and am going to head back to it in the morning with a flathead so I can take off the side panels and get a better sense of what is wrong and why the belt won't spin, but in the meantime does anybody have any input that might help?

Thanks, (edited)

Re: Rookie issue starting motobecane

Ok there is a switch on the big pulley which switches it from "bicycle mode" to "engine mode", you need to turn the switch so the pulley engages. Now you'll obviously need to turn on the gas, turn the kill switch to the run position and while holding the choke and decompression levers pedal the moped up to something like 5mph. You'll hear the engine start turning and once you've got some good momentum release the decompression and choke levers. With a little luck it'll be running now.

Motobecane Rookie /

What's the switch to turn it from bicycle to engine mode look like? It's not physically on the big pulley either, it's just down around the engine?

It's on the pulley itself, and it looks like a big wingnut.

Motobecane Rookie /

Hey MopedGarmy thanks for the help so far.

So I found this from another thread:

http://mabecanemobylette.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=946

...and also (tried) to take some decent pictures of what's going on in my moped, attached. It looks like the selector arm piece on my moped is broken when I compare my pics to the pictures I linked?

IMG_0003_2.jpg
IMG_0001_2.jpg
IMG_0006_2.jpg

looks like you're missing some stuff...hard to tell...if so, it's new pulley time...

***Kim Jong illest*** /

yep. new pulley time. looks like the arm is missing from the drive engage switch. nbd, most moped people had 3 or 4 lying around there workspace.

Motobecane Rookie /

Thanks Joshh,

Pulled this up from the Motobecane site:

http://www.lesolex.com/catalogue_detail.php?piece_id=8524&PHPSESSID=a3b94f6e8594b86c93a3d29bd3e1707b

not sure if this is something you can identify without seeing the bike, but, would i need to replace the entire circular plate (what's in the link above, is that entire circular plate considered the pulley?), or is it possible to replace only the broken arm piece by unscrewing it from the circular plate, and tossing a new one on there?

Thanks,

Nick

Motobecane Rookie /

http://www.1977mopeds.com/motobecane-stock-pulley.html

I ordered this piece - my motobecane is a 1977 so I assume this is the piece I need. Worst case scenario it isn't and I can hopefully return. Anybody have a video link that can show me how to replace motobecane pulley on my own without messing anything else up?

Also, on a scale of 1-10, how difficult is replacing a pulley?

Thanks,

Nick

***Kim Jong illest*** /

piece of cake man. remove pedal pin, remove pedal arm, then if memory serves me theres a circlip that you will need circlip pliers for, then it should just slide off. been a loooong time since ive done this so im i little foggy on the circlip location but that is the basic gist. do the whole thing in reverse for installation. make sure you grease it up real good (the inside where the needle bearings are, where it slides onto shaft) before putting it on. dont grease the belt area lol.

your actual pulley damage is kinda strange. ive seen it but only once where the entire arm broke off. in my case the needle bearings failed at 68mph and the whole bike locked up causing the arm to buckle and explode. i have a hard time imaging that happening to you but i would still make sure all your drive parts are free moving and greased up.

usually what happens is the lever gives and some people (me included) who never use the bicycle function spot weld the arm in place at the engage point and in the case of kitted high power engines, sometimes onto the gear itself too.

your stock bike should be fine, and the new pulley should last a good long time before something bad ever happens.

if your motor mounts are shot or motor is mounted off center the variater spring can hit the inside of the spinning pulley, when fully variated, breaking stuff

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account