New condenser points still sparking

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

This is kind of an odd one. I'm seeing a lot of misfires on a Tomos A3 I'm working on. Lots of arcing across the points, I swapped the condenser first with a used spare I had laying around and then with a brand new one. No luck still stuttering and sparking across the points.

I've also swapped the plug, boot, plug wire and high tension coil. No change in how it runs. The only things left are the points themselves and the internal ignition coil. Any thoughts? Did I just swap a dud condenser with two other dud condensers? Or can something other than the condenser cause arcing across the points?

Re: New condenser points still sparking

This maybe apples to oranges but my Trabant 601 was doing this. Here's a video:

http://vid222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Videos/2013-12-13_13-43-47_714_zps9b7a2d61.mp4

The #2 cylinder points seems to be arcing the worse. The #1 cylinder points does not seem to be arcing at all.

I tried using a set of condensors from a 6 volt VW Type 1, since Trabant parts are not available in the US. I mean I can get them but didn't want to pay out the nose shipping from Germany just for a set of condensors.

I never could figure out how to solve it. However I was able to manipulate the timing by adjusting the points gap (on the fly) with the engine running and was able to get rid of the arcing. However the points gap was no longer within specs. I don't know what I ended up with or what the long term effect of running the points gap out of spec to cause.

I do know the car ran fine otherwise. It never missfired under either condition.

I finally got my electronic ignition working so I'm no longer running points.

But I would imagine the arcing would eventually shorten the life of the points or require sanding.

Like “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Maybe your points are worn out? Do they have that white shit on them?

Or maybe the insulation in the points is failing somewhere. There are two insulators on points the one between the points and the stator and the one where the wire attaches to the points.

I had this issue on an e50, replaced everything twice, couldn't solve it. Installed pietcard coil and box and I was at warp speed 10 min later.

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

(Ca$$eroller$) Luke Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe your points are worn out? Do they have that

> white shit on them?

>

>

> Or maybe the insulation in the points is failing

> somewhere. There are two insulators on points the

> one between the points and the stator and the one

> where the wire attaches to the points.

Points are cleaned and gap is set to spec. I'm thinking you might be onto something with the insulation. I suppose if one of the wires connected to the condenser is grounding out intermittently that would be taking the condenser out of the circuit and causing the arcing across the points.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

the wire that runs under the pointset goes to the condensor and would mimic a bad condensor if grounding/arching.

grounding the wire to the condensor would act like a kill switch.

not familiar with the internal ignition coil style, but it can't hurt to ground the wires coming out of the stator, see if anything changes.

except the kill feed.

best way to prove the condensor out is to swap the a3's to another ped, see if the arcing goes with it.

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

Well I took everything apart again last night. Double checked the points and wire going from the points to the condenser. Replaced the condenser again and the internal ignition coil along with external high tension coil. Nope no go behaves exactly the same. The points are the only thing I haven't swapped out yet.

Oh well I don't have a spare set, but I do have a spare puch cdi setup, I'm just going to throw that on there and call it a day.

damn, hoping you'd ride this out and provide the rest of us with some answers.

better you have a decent ped then feeding the unwashed masses.

I'm guessing it's bad points. Won't hurt to put in a new set and gap them to spec. Also,put in a NEW spark plug. don-ohio (:^)

Replace the points. Even if they are clean, the plastic insulation to the hinge on the points eventually wears to the point where the points ground out to the stator plate. You will have an intermittent miss-fire and gradually it will get worse till you lose spark entirely. Eliminate the cheapest variables first. Also sometime the resistor in the spark plug melts and can cause a miss-fire. Swap the plug first and see what happens then get new points.

Like “Funkenet” Hosfield /

You fixed it? What was it?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account