minivelle v1 points question.

Blorp Blorpmonger /

I have a 1980 general 5 star I have been tinkering with.

I tried cleaning the points with a nail file, and when I turn it I get a bright blue spark, but then it fades out, and I have to file again. it does not last long.

Are these basically shot, or is there any reviving tricks?

Re: minivelle v1 points question.

It sounds like you have a bad condenser. The condenser is there to absorb the voltage spikes that tend to arc across the contact points and burn the faces. If you run the ped with the cover off and look in at the flywheel you should see little if any arcing/sparks. If it looks like a firefly on steroids then the condenser is not doing it's job.

Blorp Blorpmonger /

Good info, thanks. Gives me more things to search.

could the points be shot and flopping around?

if the gap's all over the place, could cause those symptoms.

misaligned, poor contact until you "clean" and inadvertantly align them.

Blorp Blorpmonger /

Hey folks, thanks for the help. It was indeed the condenser. I swung by autozone and picked up some cheap $6 one, mounted it to the frame, and that badboy fired right up.

Left the old one in the flywheel because I did not feel like pulling it. Guess you do not really have to yank it and solder the wired together?

Darrell Gabbard /

that old condenser is still wired in and could cause the points to fry over time. I would still by the proper replacement points and condenser set just to be safe.

Here is some more information. Check your ground.There are 3 screws that hold the stator in . Read in the wiki how to take it out or just replace the points , Or mark the position of the stator , pull it out replace the points, and put it back ,I found it easy to pull it out. Now its good for the 20 years or so. Mark your wires. Do you know how to set the points and timing. Its in wiki, and if you need more help ,ask. This is the only way to learn and do it your self. We all did. I have had this thing for 34 years and still keep it running. Its really not that hard. Mopeds are pretty easy to fix.. I wish you best of luck .

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account