Tomos Bullet, help me get it running?

---- Corey B ---- /

Just purchased a tomes bullet with a title not running for 250 and I'm looking for some advice. I checked for spark and it seems pretty weak to me but i not sure. the bike will occasionally suddenly attempt to run for a second but then it stops trying. When i pulled the park plug i found that the end of the spark plug wire just came right with it. So i assume someone tried splicing on a new end or something. I assume thats likely the problem? or do these bikes have other electrical issues that i should look into as well. thank you

Re: Tomos Bullet, help me get it running?

Yeah,get a new wire if possible. Replace that plug with a new one,no matter how it looks. It never hurts to have the old one as a spare. don-ohio

Get a new plug, possibly new wire if its the kind that unscrews from the coil, rubber sealed ngk plug cap, clean the ignition points, flush the tank, clean the petcock filter, replace the fuel line, clean the carburetor and that should give you a good start getting it running and reliable.

---- Corey B ---- /

Got things running thank you guys. It was a combination of the carb needing cleaned and the spark plug wire

Good job,Corey! Have fun and ride safe! don-ohio (:^)

---- Corey B ---- /

It actually ended up not running for long haha. i can't figure out the problem. cleaned the carb. changed the gas with 40:1. checked the spark plug. only thing i can think of now is the spark plug wire is causing a spark issue.

Could be weak condensor or coil? Sure the spark plug wire is good?Remember the taillight fixture or bulb will stop spark on the older ones.don-ohio

just for possible basic questions

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred%27s_Guide

This may be dumb but it's a possibility, you said you replaced the gas with 40:1 mix, my bullet tt lx has oil injection. Does yours have oil injection and you accidentally put premix in as well so it's getting way too much oil?

You also said at first the spark seemed weak, mabye it needs a new coil?

---- Corey B ---- /

Pretty much here's the full deal if anyone can help me out...... 1980 Tomos bullet. Spark plug wire was chopped to fit some fancy spark plug cover and wasn't fixed correctly in the cover so it pulls freely from it and i believe is causing the spark to be weak. Puch high torque cylinder head. Bing carb (unsure of which i forgot to look before i left for another week of college). Previous owner was running no filter so until i get a nice flowing filter I'm using panty hose. Stock exhaust i assume that looks to have been modified for the puch cylinder (how do you de-restrict it? doesn't look as easy as my push korado). Carb has a 50 jet and is missing the clip on the needle.

I assume the jetting, missing clip, and spark plug wire issue's are whats causing my problems. Im unsure of which jet to move to though, i was told possibly around 68ish 70ish give or take. Thankyou in advance

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account