tomos a 35 1st gear clutch just doest grip

original clutch fell apart so i then rebuilt it with cork found at a hobby town shop. That didn't work so i then went on 1977 mopeds website and got a set of first gear clutch shoes with high friction material on them and they were said to be a good clutch they still didn't grip so i then took sand paper and scuffed the bell housing up and also the pads it still wouldn't grip even at a stoplight i have to peddle and push. And when it comes to stoping on a hill i have to go back down and get speed or go a different way i need help please help! and using automatic aft type f.

Re: tomos a 35 1st gear clutch just doest grip

Overpriced Parts /

Sounds like you put the transmission together wrong

i am like 98% sure i put the shoes in the correct way and can't seem to figure out the problem what can hold them back from griping ?

original clutch fell apart so i then rebuilt it with cork found at a hobby town shop. That didn't work so i then went on 1977 mopeds website and got a set of first gear clutch shoes with high friction material on them and they were said to be a good clutch they still didn't grip so i then took sand paper and scuffed the bell housing up and also the pads it still wouldn't grip even at a stoplight i have to peddle and push. And when it comes to stoping on a hill i have to go back down and get speed or go a different way i need help please help! and using automatic aft type f.

Ho on mcmaster carr website and search this part

Number- 6224k341 thats what u need. Its high strength clutch material u just have to work it a little

To fit

Right.

but it has new shoes

Simon Belmont /

Hey Alex, those clutch shoes you purchased from 1977-mopeds, do they grip and slip? or are they not gripping at all?

Reason I'm asking is I've purchased and installed the same set for my A35 1st gear and it does work but I think it slips because I hear a high rev followed by a loud screeching sound on the 1st gear.

Does the bike work when you get to speed? It sounds like you might have additional problems, maybe there isn't enough compression to hit the rpms required to spin the clutch out.

Just throwing theories out there. This sounds so strange.

The friction material on an A35 clutch is made of cork? WTF?

went to a moped shop today and they said that the clutch should work the changed the placement of the pins that hold on the shoes to the hub and it still has no grip wtf!!!!

maybe incidental, but is there plenty of room in the groove for the spring to slide around in?

i've had to widen that groove as it was pinching the spring, it has to slide to expand.

Simon Belmont /

The other day, I removed that "friction material" 1st clutch and replaced it with custom made clutch that I've relined using cork material & jb-weld marine epoxy, the results: there's no longer loud "screeching" noise when switching from 1st to 2nd gear.

ok i will try that thanks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account