Kinetic Clutch

Hemitheus Gherardini /

I have a 97 Kinetic and there is a cyclic metal scraping sound coming from the engine area that is relatively loud and concerning. It is only present when there is propulsion. eg. At idle there is no sound, i give it throttle while on the stand and as soon as the rear tire rotates the sound begins. The faster the tire rotates, the more frequent the sound. As soon as I apply the brake the sound is gone. I presume I have a clutch problem.

#1 does my diagnosis seem accurate?

#2 where can I purchase a replacement clutch assembly?

Re: Kinetic Clutch

Hemitheus Gherardini /

Here is a video of the issue

It maybe the flywheel rubbing against the frame. Is there any play when you grab the crankshaft with a pair of pliers (clutch assembly removed) and try to move it up or down? Does it put the engine in a bind if you try to turn it while say lifting up on the crankshaft?

The reason I ask is my outer crankshaft bearing bit the bust and locked the engine up one day. I can't recall any rubbing sound before this happened.

I intially thought it was in the clutch but turned out to be the cranshaft bearing.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Both kinetics I've riden sounded scrapey.

I'd just roll with it, if it blows then dealwith it.t

^^prolly just the front or rear pulley grinding itself a little clearance.

Hemitheus Gherardini /

Looks like this was a previous problem from the previous owner. Fortunately the engine has zero play in the crank. Unfortunately I am stuck repairing this hack job. Unless anyone has this part in their spare pile?

xxxxx.jpg

luckilly you have a 97 so vespa clutches fit! should be a cheap easy fix: https://www.treatland.tv/vespa-piaggio-olympia-non-variating-clutch-plate-p/vespa-olympia-plate-100012.htm

GL

~M (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account