piston slap?

hello....my setup is a 70 treats especiale kit reed block....build it august last year and put over 1,300 miles one in since then....a month r so ago I started to hear a tapping/rattle upon idle, also letting off throttle from wot for quick braking or something, and when I would shut off the bike.... so I stopped riding before more serious issue would have started..... tore her apart cylinder and such is fine....( I have the bigger size roller bearing meant for the cylinder).... so I was thinking maby my crank arm main bearing was the cause.....I had already ordered the new rito and put it in last night with new seals bearing and such, but I compared new crank to crank with over 1300 miles and nothing was wrong with the one like I had thought....but seeing as how I already tore it apart I put the new one in and am keeping the used one as a spare for my other peds.....so now everythings all back together and when I spun my flywheel I heard the dreaded noise...... now the only thing left is piston slap right? you can slightly feel it when you place your finger on the cylinder as you turn the flywheel....... I was contemplating trying a new ring or new piston but I may as well just get a whole new other kit for as cheap as they are.....

Re: piston slap?

* bigger size roller bearing meant for piston rather

Brent Bublitz /

12 Ellipsis 4 commas and not a period to be seen.

thanks mate didn't think this was English class......what do you expect I only got my grade 10 eh!

Piston slap happens. Some bikes do it more than others. You should hear a tomos some time. Sounds like you put the piston in a blender. It won't damage the engine unless it is really excessive. Ring rattle happens too.

I know some noise with puch is expected, but this never had more than normal ignition spark and reed block noise. I just would rather not keep "ripping" in an effort to not cause damage. Great kit though, ill keep buying these all day. That's strange my buddy has a a35 tomos, unsure of kit but I know its 70, and his is quieter than a church mouse. I am going to try a new ring to start their It my hi rpm and long cruise ped... so I guess at this point anything possible.....

Overpriced Parts /

Did you check the piston pin or where the piston and clips go in.

Wiggle and check for play with the piston pin in the piston

you know what their is a little wiggle room, I wonder if its too much, but I didn't think much of it as my other piston port setup maxi with 60ish Athena kit, roller bearing style aftermarket crank, also has wiggle room similar to this one...and my stock swinger regular crank rod brass bearing thing also has same amount of play.... and my other two mopeds are not experiencing this noise....

Overpriced Parts /

I'm talking front of the piston to back towards back to the engine not side to side there's any front to the back movement piston needs to be replaced wrist pin needs to be rock solid in the piston but side to side possibly okay even though you could Lose a circlip if the pin pops it out

cool man thanks fer tha input...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account