Can't teach an old electrical system new tricks

hey guys, me again with a 78 maxi, 70cc kitted etc...

running a simplified electrical system, just three main wires: spark plug, kill, electrics.

headlight/taillight run fine, but if i pipe the break wires in to the dual filament bulb this kills the electrics

its not the button shorting to ground, i can wire up a second light (shitty LED) and it will work just fine. Its something about the dual filament bulb.

I could just get a two bulb brake light but wheres the fun in that, whatcha think?

Re: Can't teach an old electrical system new tricks

It's not always FUN...

Brent Bublitz /

You are not trying to run the brakes off the same circuit as the headlight/tail light, are you?

theyre in parallel, but not on seperate coils like with a stock setup

do you have a resiter in tail light. they blow out all the time.

Brent Bublitz /

The brake switches are normally closed. They ground the circuit. When you pull a brake handle, it breaks the ground, forcing the power through the light. If you are hooking your brake switches to the same circuit as the headlight/tail light, the circuit will be fully grounded (killed) until you pull the handle. That is why they have a separate coil.

My brake switches are a floating break, they don't ground just disconnect. SO when the brake lever is not pulled everything is fine its as if that wire is just hanging off to air. Its when I pull the brake and it runs through the bulb that the whole system grounds out. Its a real puzzler

if you rewire it, its your fault. Why don't you post a wiring diagram so we know what you did? It sounds like a mess.

That's the way they work, closed on, pull open off.

Bad Cadillac™ /

nik g Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> if you rewire it, its your fault. Why don't you

> post a wiring diagram so we know what you did? It

> sounds like a mess.

This ^^

I didnt rewire it, the guy i bought it from did it a while back.

Its a magneto setup that only has those three outputs, i couldnt run it on seperate coils if i wanted to

Wiring is simple as shit. The sole lighting coil out goes to a screw contact. from that screw contact one wire goes to the headlight. One goes to the tail light, and one goes to one front brake lever, is then default open, but when closed continues on to the contact in the two filament bulb for the brake light.

Thats it, bonehead simple. Thats why I cant figure out whats wrong. must be something with these dual filament bulbs or something.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account