V1 Dellorto help please, thing wont stay running

*Radium City* Barney /

I’m trying to get my Yankee Peddler running smoothly and I am struggling a bit. It has a Minarelli V1 with a Dellorto SHA 14 carb. The ped will start if I choke it and will run pretty good as long as I maintain WOT. When I come to a stop, it dies. I’ve messed with the idle screw and thought I had it dialed in. It will not re-start unless I choke it. And sometimes it is running pretty good and then it starts to bog out and slowly dies. It’s almost like the bowl is filling faster than the carb can suck the fuel and it floods. I don’t see how the float needle is adjustable on these carbs. The needle valve slides into a groove into the float, but the groove in the float is molded into the float. I simply don’t see how these can be adjusted. The carb is very clean. I did replace the main jet with one size larger than was in it. I can’t remember what size it has, I think maybe it had a 52 and I put a 54 in it because the 52 looked partially blocked. I can’t imagine that small of a jet change could affect the performance that much. Any help or input is appreciated.

Re: V1 Dellorto help please, thing wont stay running

Here is your carburetor , fuel comes in banjo(15)goes through screen filter(16) to needle valve (27) . that is most likely clogged . Take valve out clean seat with small wire blow air through it if you can.Check gas ,screen , jet for rust, dirt anything that will clog this up. . http://www.myronsmopeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Dellorto-SHA-diagram.jpg . . read this if you haven't already. . http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred%27s_Guide

Patrick Keaton /

Take a wire bread tie and remove the insulation from it and clean the 52 with the bread tie and install that back in the carb.

*Radium City* Barney /

Good tip with the bread tie. But are you saying the 52 needs to be in there instead of the 54? Do you think the slightly bigger jet is causing my issue?

No, jet may be clogged along with needle valve

*Radium City* Barney /

Thanks for the input, but I believe this carb is spotless. I've cleaned it at least 3 times. Completely unassembled, used carb cleaner and compressed air.

The dirt is coming in your gas , check gas.

*Radium City* Barney /

The tank was just coated, it's bullet proof. The gas is new. I can't imagine it's a fuel delivery issue.

What do you think it is , could in line or petcock. It sounds like something in needle valve or jet. It came with a 52. Did you pull banjo off carb and check screen?

*Radium City* Barney /

My fenders are chrome and the tank is different, but yes that's the same make and model. Yes, I've had the carb completely apart at least 3 times. I swear it's clean. It came with the 52 jet and I replaced it with a 54. I can't imagine that's enough to make it run like shit at WOT and then die at stops. And that doesn't explain why I have to re-choke it to restart it.

Did you read in the wiki, Fred's Guide about air leaks , they can cause a lean condition to make you use the choke .No 52 to 54 wont make much difference. This is not my moped but same model. http://www.myronsmopeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/1982-AMF-Roadmaster-140-twins.jpg

*Radium City* Barney /

Nice, I've never seen that style of a Roadmaster. I'll check out the air leak section. Thanks.

Emulsion tube hole(s) clean? That'll keep em from idling right. Have you checked the fuel flow thru the needle seat by lowering the float bowl? don-ohio

If you figure it out let us know as I have the exact same problem with my Minarelli V1.

It will start up by pedalling and dragging the engine in and will run fine at anything over idle. But, when I come to a stopsign and back off the twistgrip it will go put-put-put-nothing. Re-starts easily enough but it is starting to be a big pain in the ass.

I too have cleaned the carb a number of times. The bike runs fine at WOT so I do not think that it is a fuel flow problem. Is there a possibility that there is a float level problem? How do I check the float level?

Lastly, I have not looked at the timing or the condition of the points for a long time. That is next.

Mike

SILVERFOX QUOTE: How do I check the float level?

Invert the carb and the float should set fairly level in relation to the carb gasket surface. If it is brass,you can just barely bend the float tang. I keep mine just about level,maybe a little toward less fuel in bowl. don-ohio

Turn off petcock.To check float take out float screws, take bowl off. Push float up gently till it stops, turn gas on at petcock , there should be no flow from float valve. Let float drop down you should see gas come out . turn gas off. hold carb level put bowl on but not screwed on open petcock you should not see gas leak around bowl. Turn gas off carefully pull bowl down it should be about full but not running over. This is the float test. Put bowl back on with screws , put carb back on there should be an o ring and a shim between carb and intake. Push carb all the way on tighten screw at carb base, start motor. Spray carb cleaner around carb but not into carb just enough to see if rpms changers to check for leaks. It can leak around case seals to. If rpm changes while spraying you have an airleak.

Sorry Don , I was typing my rambling thread while you had finished yours.

*Radium City* Barney /

I appreciate your time guys. Thanks.

`That's a great tutorial ,Steve. I was just givin'him the standard check when you have carb off. post and a lot of help for those that read and remember. don-ohio (:^)

I didn't know what he knew ,trying to be though.

Re: V1 Dellorto help please, thing wont stay running UPDATE

*Radium City* Barney /

Well, I've spent another hour on this bastard and the results are the same. I can officially state that it's not a fuel delivery problem or a dirty jet / carb. I changed the spark plug for good measure too. I didn't check for air leaks with starter fluid but I made sure the intake and head bolts were tight. I forgot to mention I'm not using the air filter. Not sure why this would affect anything but I'm at the end of my rope with this thing. I ran around the neighborhood for a few miles and it died the first time I came to a stop. Had to choke it to re-start it. I have a buddy with the same carb on his ped, I might try the bike with his carb next.

You forgot to mention you don't have an air filter on there? Man,you NEED an air filter.No wonder you have idling problems. Get the filter back on it,then do the troubleshooting. don-ohio (:^)

simon thokaar /

Don Ruggles Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You forgot to mention you don't have an air filter

> on there? Man,you NEED an air filter.No wonder you

> have idling problems. Get the filter back on

> it,then do the troubleshooting. don-ohio (:^)

yeah.. if its a stock V1 you need the filter and air box on there to run properly.

*Radium City* Barney /

OK, thanks guys. My E50's will idle without air filters. I guess I made a vague assumption.

simon thokaar /

*Radium City* Barney Wrote:

> OK, thanks guys. My E50's will idle without air

> filters. I guess I made a vague assumption.

well.. you can.. but you draw so much more air in you need to upjet the hell out of it to have the correct fuel/air ratio.

*Radium City* Barney Wrote:

> It will not re-start

> unless I choke it.

choke to start a hot engine says volumes what the motor needs to run.

the op's assumption: "And sometimes it is running pretty good and then it starts to bog out and slowly dies. It’s almost like the bowl is filling faster than the carb can suck the fuel and it floods." is speculation.

when it bogs and dies, is the plug wet or dry?

glad you're past the "adjust a non-adjustable float" suggestions

my experience with airboxes is they are restrictive at WOT well before they change idle mix. but feel free to layer screens to increase vacuum draw.

compensating for airleaks, or possibly weak spark sounds where you're at.

i'd mist carb cleaner/propane near the inlet when it starts to bog to prove it's fuel starvation, see how the motor reacts.

key there is less = more.

spray literally a foot away, misting closer until the motor either recovers or dies.

*Radium City* Barney /

I'm going to see how it acts with the air box on it tonight.

The spark is great so I've ruled that out.

I like the idea of misting the carb cleaner and seeing how it reacts. Sounds like a good way to get the hair burned off my legs. I killed a spider with carb cleaner and a lighter this weekend. Holy shit! Works a lot better that WD-40. Thanks for the help.

*Radium City* Barney /

I put the air filter on an low and behold, it idles. I can't believe it makes that much of a difference. Anyway, I also found out that it died when I came to a stop because it has the "light bulb out safety system" so that the brake switch was killing the ped. I quickly bypassed that, so I got me a solid runner now. Thanks to my Moped Army friends for helping me out.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account