v1: bosch ignition - stator spark but no plug spark

After re-wiring my v1 to get rid of the stock rats nest of wires I have lost spark to my plug but still have spark coming off the stator. Here is the context:

- Brand new points (man was that a bitch to set with the bosch flywheel)

- Brand new condenser (screw cap style)

- Brand new coil box + spark boot wire

- Brand new NGK spark boot

- All wiring simplified to essentials only

Stator wire (blue with black stripe) has strong spark when I flip the flywheel - going directly into the coil box.

Stator wire (yellow) also has strong spark when I flip the flywheel - going directly to lights

Stator wire (blue) is grounded securely to the frame with freshly sanded bare metal to make contact with.

Coil Box is a self grounding unit and makes secure contact with bare metal on the frame as well.

Despite all of this I can not get the damn spark to come through the box to the plug itself, and its really making an ass out of me. The bike kicked over and ran with stock wiring but was a mess and seemingly had some bad grounds, I carefully replaced everything and made sure I rectified any questionable electrical stuff. I didn't think hardwiring this bike would have me stumped. Any suggestions?

Re: v1: bosch ignition - stator spark but no plug spark

Are you using a resistor cap with a resistor plug?

Regular o'le plug and cap.

I have seen it not spark that way., plug got a good gap? new?

check the resistance between primary and secondary coils on the coil box? should be around 1.5 - maybe you got a bogus one? just in case check for continuity between the wire and boot?

Run a ground strait from primary coil to secondary coil.

Never checked for the resistance between coils as you say, I will do some research and look into that.

Gap should be alright, tried it with the plug it was last running on and a fresh one tonight.

Used a testing unit to make sure the boot and wire were conducting electricity from one end to the other, no problems there.

I will also need to double check that as well. Thanks for the suggestions guys, anything is helpful at this point...

Do you have another coil?

Ive tried other boxes but not the actual coil on the stator, it is absolutely definitely sparking nice and hot off the wire itself. I suppose maybe a new stator coil is the next step...

Condenser could be bad or not grounding.

Double Trouble Dan /

if the plug wire screws into the coil , clip 1/4 inch off and screw it on again .

sometimes the wire gets pushed back into the core.

I can double check the condenser but it is a new screw cap style, made sure it was nice and tight before throwing the flywheel back on.

Spark cap does screw into the wire, I clipped it on both ends as directed last but a brand new one came with the box I got today so that should not be an issue.

Put a new hamster on the wheel I guess.

That is basically how I feel at this point, really got blue balls trying to figure out this last electrical conundrum.

Otherwise its got fresh gaskets on the top end and transmission, fresh starter plate with good pads, new rings, 15.15 SHA, MK3 pipe all mounted up, fresh cables, fuel line & filter (fuel is flowing fine - plug is wet), new fluid, gas tank is pretty well spotless on the inside with fresh gas and saber.

Checked for air leak gremlins properly with the fan assembly off before this happened, no issues there, plenty of compression

Its always a bummer when you think you got all your bases covered but really you dont.

When you spin the flywheel so you see the points open and close?

Yes, the bosch flywheel has cheater lines on it so its easy to know where they need to start opening and be at the full gap distance. Set points to .4 - starting to open at .2 before TDC.

At that point the bike was still wired stock with the horn, kill switch, lights on/off, ect. I only decided to redo the wiring once I had it turning over nice and easy but its caused me additional issues.

Prob just haunted, is there a priest in the house that could perform a remote exorcism?

Something.

I had issues when I redid my stator also..I simplified my stator to include only the ignition coil and a 12v lighting coil. I installed new points and screw type condenser. The wiring from the internal ignition coil should be the blue wire to the condenser then a wire from the condenser to the points, and from the points out to the external ignition coil. Then ground the other wire coming off the internal ignition coil.

Your flywheel isn't shorting any connections intermently , is it?

"(man was that a bitch to set with the bosch flywheel)"

+1 for pietcard cdi 06 .. you need a beat up bosch magneto to make a tool so you can get into to see it cam up and down. if you had cev, i had them made already. i do not have magneto center from boschs. i went cdi with the boschs. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account