1979 Honda NA50 choke problem

a buddy of mine has just recently gotten his first moped, a 1979 honda na50. when we went to check it out the guy had somehow rigged the choke cable up so it stayed in the carburetor and ran decent. it needed an idle screw so we figured thats why it was bogging out when it was brought to a full stop. we replaced that and it still was impossible to set the idle, let alone get it started again. checking it out later on though the choke cable isn't attached to anything inside his carb and seems like its too small or something as the threading isn't grabbing either. the choke cables for these are discontinued so basically wondering if theres any other way to rig something up, or should we just go with a whole new carburetor..?

Re: 1979 Honda NA50 choke problem

Get a new Mikuni if you can't rig the choke on the old one. Someone has a cable that you can make fit,I'm sure.That throttle also controls your oil injection so be careful if you work on it. don-ohio (:^)

Please tell me you did not just screw the idle/air screw all the way in...

noooooooooooo haha. i swapped to a 20mm PHBG on my 81 nc50 so we just set the idle the best we could with the idle screw off my old carb, its a couple of turns out can't remember off the top of my head. the air screw is out maybe one turn? when it's set like this i can put my thumb over the choke and it'll start AND idle until you take your thumb off. then it bogs and dies. and don, leaning towards swapping his to the VM20 but the intake is outta stock on treatland currently. just trying to get him cruising till then!

That's an air leak if it isn't a badly tuned idle. If what you are describing is the cap to the choke slide missing, then yeah, air leak.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account