Old gas tar/pitch in Puch gas tank

Hi,

I just bought a 1980 Puch Newport ll that had not run and had a half a tank of gas in it for many years.

I flushed the tank with fresh gas several times and only a few flakes of rust were coming out. Then filled it up again and let it sit overnight. Drained it and used a wire bent with with a "U" and proceeded to probe through the petcock area. I was greeted with this black tar like substance each time I removed the wire. As I probe the bottom I can feel a thick sticky stuff in the bottom and walls of the tank. Its the old gas residue I assume. The overnight soaking seemed to loosen it up a lot but still sticky thick in areas while probing.

What can I use to loosen this up quicker? I did buy a large can od carb cleaner but that seems like a slow/expensive way to go spraying the whole thing into the tank and flushing and redoing.

Any Ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Re: Old gas tar/pitch in Puch gas tank

You could use much stronger shit like xylene (one of the main ingredients in brake parts cleaner) but that shit is highly carcinogenic and an environmental disaster to dispose of. I would suggest you just let gas sit in it for a few days and give it an occasional shake.

Overpriced Parts /

Fill with with brake parts cleaner way better just be careful not to get on your paint. Cover tank with plastic bags during the whole cleaning process.

Then drain that out then use muratic acid and water for a hr or two then wash with soda water/flush with baking soda water then rinse with alcohol, then fill with gas oil mix and keep filled to the top so Rust don't form.

Use a in-line paper element fuel filter and change petcock to a brand-new gold treats petcock.

I've seen some varnish you have to steam away. Heat and solvent works really well,but don't inhale! don-ohio (:^)

Overpriced Parts /

Don Ruggles Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've seen some varnish you have to steam away.

> Heat and solvent works really well,but don't

> inhale! don-ohio (:^)

President Bill Clinton didn't inhale either or so he said.

HaHaaaa! Yeah,what a liar! don-ohio (:^)

Found that carb cleaner works very well although its expensive.

Have it pretty good now and will do the Cider Vinegar and salt routine in a couple of days.

Tom

Double Trouble Dan /

Myrons uses acetone. so , its either $15/ gallon for pure , or buy nail polish remover . Look for higher concentrations.

I got a free gallon from an estate sale left over.

Lacquer thinner will work too.

Not paint thinner

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

I have a bunch of stuff at the bottom of the tank (Puch Maxi) That id like to get out. I use a piece of wire with a loop in the end and kinda scrape around through the petcock hole and get a lot of soft black stuff out. Guessing its rust and tar mixed. Tried laying the bike on its side and flushing the tank with a hose several times but still can't get it all.

Next thought was to dry the tank with air/hair drier and find a flexible hose like the hose on the back of the air filter and feed it down the tank through the filler hole and use a vacuum.

Anyone has success getting all the sediment out of bottom of a Puch tank?

Tom

Dry the tank chemically with alcohol first.....absorb that water! Rubbing alcohol will absorb it,but not as well as products made to do it like you find at Auto-Zone or WalMart.

Any additive designed to remove water from fuel works.don-ohio (:^)

I've had a few bikes like that. I've had luck using a pressure washer with the nozzle on the petcock end. Tip the moped on it's side and keep flushing as the sediment comes up out of the top of the tank.

Double Trouble Dan /

Block the petcock. let a quart or more of acetone set in the tank bottom for a few days or to a week or more. I have a shop vac with a blower attachment. Hook that or the gas leaf blower you can rig up over the gas cap hole .

It will blow most of the gunk out.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account