Stupid Flywheel.... 85 Trac

So I don't have the right tool, I need this thing off so I can check for dead animals and fur in the magneto's So what would you suggest (Other than trying to find a steering wheel pulley remover that wont work because of size.) Is there a pressure / bump method? The motor / frame has 1300 miles, barn dust and no fire, I purchased and installed a new coil and yes, someone has loosened the points so I tried the window treatment and tightened them. Help!

Re: Stupid Flywheel.... 85 Trac

Patrick Keaton /

Did you set the breaker point to the correct setting with a feeler gauge ?

This can be done without the removal of the Flywheel.

Did you file the breaker points with a disposable fingernail file ?

Blow it out with compressed air, if needed.

I doubt there will be any dead animals in there.

Do the breaker points open and close ?

The best way is to purchase a puller OR find someone local that has one. A second way is once the nut is off (duh...haha) use a rubber or wooden mallet and very lightly tap around the outer edge of the magneto while pulling on it either by hand or using a bolt screwed into it as leverage. Careful to keep your face clear as depending how well off those magnets are, itll punch ou in the face. Third option is a 3 jaw pull.

Best option of course is option 1. Best of luck man.

I did set it with the window through the flywheel access hole, it does open and close, I just worry about rust on the coils / Generator area so I need in there bad unless I can get a bypass scheme from the other thread. I don't trust the rest of the electronics yet.

Thank you for the tips, I looked at all the local auto shops for the smaller puller and no luck. Didn't really want to order one but I may have to. I will try the screw tip, that sounds like a winner.

bent my flywheel on a 504, rigging a 3 claw setup and shit, rendered it useless when it was bent out just slightly in one spot making it out of balance?? be careful, they aren't cheap.

Aaron Par___ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you for the tips, I looked at all the local

> auto shops for the smaller puller and no luck.

> Didn't really want to order one but I may have to.

> I will try the screw tip, that sounds like a

> winner.

Its mopeds... i douvt any local places will carry one, unless its a Honda or Yamaha mybe. Check out treatland.tv for a puller.

ok, you got my attention, I will wait until my other thread gets some help before I attempt to take this off, better yet, order the pulley remover. I heard a rumor that Tracs are rare on parts. Thank gowd I got the common engine though

Will do, thanks Wiz

Aaron Par___ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ok, you got my attention, I will wait until my

> other thread gets some help before I attempt to

> take this off, better yet, order the pulley

> remover. I heard a rumor that Tracs are rare on

> parts. Thank gowd I got the common engine though

Yeah id recommend trying to find a local moped folk to help you out with a puller first. That way, if need be, you can order all new parts at one time. Im not too sure but i swear there i probably some sort of ignition that cross references with the tracs...puch or a frenchie maybe. not sure.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account