Best transmission oil for Puch

Hi,

Just bought a 86 Maxi-Luxe and am loving it. Did some basic maintance, points/timing, cleaned carb and reset float to proper level.

I am confused about the transmission oil. I did change it to type "F" when I got it as I had no idea how old it was. I am a big fan of synthetic oil, but confused as to what viscosity to use in the tranny.

I'd like to try and tune the clutch a bit as it seems to engage fairly early and boggs down initially. My guess it to start with 1/2 to 1 turn in on each shoe.

I have read here to use weak springs and thick oil like 10W-40. I don't really understand the theory.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Tom

Cape Cod

Re: Best transmission oil for Puch

Overpriced Parts /

No you got wrong info you want strong springs turned in 2-3 times from flush and 0w20 synthetic oil Not light springs or hard to move 50w oil

Ken,

Thank you, I was confused by the statement read here about soft springs and thick oil. It just did not make sense.

Tom

I've searched these forums and the wiki far and wide for the answer to this question, and I believe it mostly comes down to preference. Some people swear by type F, some people swear by synthetic. And depending on where you live and the temperature, that changes the number on the oil. From what I gather, most people on this forum use around 10w30. Ken is extremely knowledgeable and helpful and recommends 0w20, and he's in the midwest where it's not as hot. I went with 10w30 because other people recommended that and I'm in the 100 degree heat of southern California.

As far as the clutch engaging early, flipping the 2nd clutch will help if that's not already done.

Andrew Squiggman /

Tom,

Why do you sign all your statements? it's weird.

Me

Overpriced Parts /

Dave Earl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've searched these forums and the wiki far and

> wide for the answer to this question, and I

> believe it mostly comes down to preference. Some

> people swear by type F, some people swear by

> synthetic. And depending on where you live and

> the temperature, that changes the number on the

> oil. From what I gather, most people on this forum

> use around 10w30. Ken is extremely knowledgeable

> and helpful and recommends 0w20, and he's in the

> midwest where it's not as hot. I went with 10w30

> because other people recommended that and I'm in

> the 100 degree heat of southern California.

> As far as the clutch engaging early, flipping the

> 2nd clutch will help if that's not already done.

He's talking about a e50 I believe not a za50.

I run/ran 10W30 also but not thicker

The thicker the oil the more resistance so 20w is the best of both worlds

I overfill a few ozs too

Again thank you all for the valuable advice and help.

As soon as my gasket set comes in I will be adjusting the clutch and changing the tranny oil to 0-20 syn. I am a big fan of synthetic oil and never liked the idea of type "F".

I have always signed my posts in any forum I ever was a member of. Sorry of it not proper edict here. I mean that with no sarcasm at all just so used to doing it.

Tom

Where's my water? /

as per Ken's advice, I tried the stiffest springs in my stock clutch and it made a decent difference for acceleration and some moderate hills... But be prepared to take-apart and reassemble your clutch a few times as you try to find the sweet-spot for your weight and engine's power output.

I have to open mine up and loosen the springs a bit because it engages too late for some hills; if I briefly hold the clutch lever before the clutch engages on its own, I get immediate acceleration. I initially did 2 turns in from flush, and i'm using Type F.

Be prepared to argue with that spring-loaded arm on the top edge of the clutch cover...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account