columbia commuter?'s

I've cleaned everything, new plug proper gap, fuel flow and compression. cleaned points too.

i got it to kinda chug- a- long but not far. the faster i pedal the faster the chug. but never a full start up?

any ideas?

Re: columbia commuter?'s

Check timing, jetting, and for air leaks. Check that clutch preload is set correctly. Is it sparking? Should be a nice fat blue spark. Is the original air box and filter still on? If those are missing then you will need to either use a sock or something to restrict the air intake or you may need to use larger jets to even out the a/f ratio.

thank you. i'll see what happens.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

the light bulbs need to be the right voltage and the brake sensors both working for it to start.

this is for a 504 but alot applies directly to a 505.

also make sure the decomp pin is in the cage and pulled up fully.

Sparta-foxi-wiring-diagram.jpg

I took it out tonight and it ran great, then a backfire, little boggy at full throttle.

kept riding, backfired a few more times.

right before i got home, backfired then slowly died down and stalled.

now wont start??

Jetting too rich. Probably flooded it. Pull the carb. Check what jet is in there. What air box filter do you have?

Did you ever check Timing/ point gap again, they move if not tight enough. Don't strip it .

It's all stock. I have the airbox off at the moment.

I will check the point gap sometime today when i get a chance. thanks

Wizards Josiah McCoy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jetting too rich. Probably flooded it. Pull the

> plug. Check what jet is in there. What air box

> filter do you have?

ftfy

♣Slew Foot♣ /

decomp pin fell out? the decomp's base loose and vibrated out? is it dribbling weird blackish goo like the toilet in a horror movie?

Brent Bublitz /

Had the same thing a bunch of times. I'm guessing you spun the flywheel on the crank. Pull the flywheel off and check out the keyway. I'll bet is smeared all over the place.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

could be a condenser... about ten minutes of sitting it will have spark.

pull the plug after it stalls and see if it getting spark and if the plug is dry. sometimes a clogged gas cap vent is messin with you or other fuel related misnomer of some sort...

got it to start again but seems weak and got some gas leakage now. ugggh!

Brent Bublitz /

Check the flywheel.

Check the flywheel.

Check the flywheel.

Check the flywheel.

Check the flywheel.

Check the flywheel.

Check the flywheel.

Check the flywheel.

Check the flywheel.

whats the keyway?

woodruff key fits/locates between flywheel and shaft looks like this. . http://www.myronsmopeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Woodruff-Keys.jpg

Thanks

Ok so the flywheel is off and stator too.

I see the key.

not sure if its smeared or not?

its sitting flush inside the crank, with just the tiniest bit of an edge sticking out.

I have a replacement.

??? Now how do i get it out ???? :P

GetAttachment.jpg

If it aint broke don't fix it. A tiny unbroken amount is ok. It doesn't drive anything just locates flywheel for spark timing. Hang on to the new one you might need it . (edited)

Hey Steve my sentiments exactly. It does seem a little worn down though and I'm sure the new one would hold in place better.

And since its apart...

So now if its not the key like Brent suggested and ideas anyone? condensor?

The headlight is working just not the tail or brake.

Also any recommendations on cleaning up the Stater? Carb cleaner and comp air?

This is a $100 fixer upper by the way.

Thank you kind Sirs!

00909_cUO3u15p8V0_600x450.jpg

it's also 10pm. do you know where you're mopeds are???

GetAttachment (2).jpg
GetAttachment (1).jpg

after researching im also thinking my float might not closing cause the gas leaking?

You said the brake and tail light doesn't work, the brake and coil run off the same circuit on some mopeds. Is it Bosch? Check brake light bulb and ground. Fuel leaking from carb. is usually needle valve, dirty or worn out from age. Check fuel filter too. Do you know how to test needle valve?

Gordon Babbitt /

My '78 Commuter has separate circuits for brake light (green wire) and tail light (gray wire) but use a common ground wire (black?) located inside the tail light assembly. Check for corrosion at that grounding contact they have in common. Also note that your dedicated tail light circuit may be powered from a separate coil than your headlight (yellow wire) circuit's coil.

Also test for power at the terminal strip (at idle expect 3-4VAC) where the gray and green wires connect. I've wire brushed the terminals and reduced resistance in those circuits.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

blue/blk and green/black go right from magneto and get grounded to the ht coil mount, if it doesn't start then it is a condenser or a wiring issue as long as you have compression it will bypass the neg gnd on the tail.

Sachs-505_magneto_wiring.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account