Front Fork Hyper-extending

Hey all,

I recently realized that the front fork of my 77 Puch Newport is hyper-extended. I noticed after driving it today that it had extended so much that the rubber dust covers were pushed down both shafts, and the shafts will not go back up into the fork and stay, they still push out. I took apart the front fork in an attempt to diagnose the problem, and I've looked through repair manuals and front fork schematics, but I can't figure out what is supposed to prevent the shafts from pushing out so far. Is it the plastic bushings on each shaft? Is it the rubber dust covers? If anyone has a recommendation for what would cause this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: Front Fork Hyper-extending

Patrick Keaton /

The TOP THREADING COUPLING screws into THRUST SPRINGS.

The THRUST SPRINGS screw into the SLIDING TUBES.

The TOP THREADING COUPLING and/or the HEXAGON HEAD that attaches to it,can strip out,so check to see if they are tight.

Re: Front Fork Hyper-extending

Where's my water? /

THe plastic bushings are to help them slide within the tubes (with some grease, of course).

The forks have threads so you can thread them onto the springs at the top of the tubes (which should be affixed with the bolt at the top of each tube)... push one of the fork arms up against the spring, then rotate it clockwise to thread it onto the bottom of the spring. It should take a couple turns, but it should stay up in there.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account