New member, just a question

Hello all,

My name is Joe. I am located in Chicago and have just acquired a 1978 honda express NC50. The previous owner has removed the battery and oil pump and rewired the entire bike. The only way to start the bike is to kick start it. When kick starting the bike, I am kicking down in a counter clockwise motion. Now, I am unsure if the starter spring works on the bike because the battery has been removed. The bike will start this way, but it can be a pain sometimes and take a while. Is my best option to perform an entire kick start conversion where then I would be kick starting in the clockwise direction? Or should I buy a new case and starter spring and rewire? Thanks for the help

Re: New member, just a question

The battery is basically only there to maintain the correct voltage to the lights. Without one or a dead one, it's going to cause the lights to burn out once you reach a certain RPM. It has nothing to do with starting it. Its a wind up starter, not a kick start, which can be done but, buying a new case is best in my opinion. But, this all sounds like it has nothing to do with what your having trouble with. Is the OEM air box on there? Pics of bike is always best, but it sounds like some crap on it is not stock. There is a great colored wiring chart in Wiki.

The bike is definitely not stock. Stock air box is gone, tank is top mounted. Lights are always on when the bike is on. Here are some pictures

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Andrew Corson /

The headlight being able to turn off depends on the model. Some of them had a selector switch that had an "off" option. Others, like mine, only allow you to swap between low and high beams, and are always on if the engine is running.

Hello Joe, You will know more here, start with Fred's guide.This won't help with this question but most of the others you have.it will http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:For_Newbies

Thank you. I have attached some pictures for reference. Thank you for the guide I will check it out. Just wondering if I should replace the case, or just convert to full kick start since so much has already been modified.

attachment didn't go, use preview box beside post to confirm they are there

simon thokaar /

damn, thats a sweet lookin express.

Pics are in an earlier post in this thread. I'm pretty sure my starter spring is broken, it doesn't do anything when I attempt to wind it and press the back brake

So I took of the side cover and inspected everything. The wind up spring (very large spring) is not broken. The reason why my starter assembly isn't working is because the starter arm is completely missing! The piece was not in the case or on the floor anywhere, looks like someone removed it. What is my best option now? Can I buy just the starter arm? Will a kick start conversion even work at this point if the large wind up spring is ok?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account