1982 Honda express power loss problems

Fires right up and I can get on it and go and get it up to 28 to 30 mph. But soon after that with the throttle wide open starts to decelerate and the power goes in and out and I can't get it over 22 mph. When it starts decelerating if I let off the gas and then give it gas again it starts to go. But Then it start to decelerate after a minute or so. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help, Marty

Re: 1982 Honda express power loss problems

Check for fuel flow through the petcock and into the carb. Make sure you have the air box on. Clean the carb and be sure that the jets are not blocked.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

If none of that works look for airleaks inside and outside

Honda Express has that crazy lever vent on the gas cap.Don't know if yours does or not,but the one I worked on,if you turned the cap lever ALL THE WAY over to vent it would stop venting. don-ohio

Marty, what have you found?

I had an express that acted similarly. It would run up to speed (27-28mph) but would then power would "go in and out" at about 20 mph. Although it had the stock airbox and a new filter, unbeknownst to me, it was missing that plastic, framework-like piece of a grid which held the filter element in position. Without that piece, once the engine came up to speed, the vacuum draw into the carb was enough to suck the foam up against the intake side of the carb. This then restricted the volume of air going into the carb. Back off the throttle, the draw lessened and the foam released from the carb at which time the motor would run fine until full throttle was applied and the power would then "go in and out". Odd, rare problem but worth checking.

Sorry guys been super busy just looked at all your comments now going to give it all a try tomorrow night and I will let you know what happens.thanks again

yup

foam flopping fro and to

or heat related fuel flow issue. mine had loose foam flopping also, only the symptom was mostly just a dampening of the intake noise.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account