Speedo cleaning

So, my speedo seized... I think. The cable snapped when I was riding a few weeks ago and no longer works. I read elsewhere about repairing a Huret speedo much like my own. I followed that... and I'm not sure whether or not it did anything.

So basically, my question is: Is the magnetic disk thing that spins supposed to be able to spin by hand? I've attached a picture of mine.

IMG_20140804_214609.jpg

Re: Speedo cleaning

yes, the magnetic disc is supposed to spin freely.

Thanks for the info. That piece is completely seized, guess I'm going to have to just try harder

I've been having good luck heating the the part where the cable screws on with a torch. After it moves, quickly cool it down with wd40. It helps to have 2 people, so you don't catch on fire. I've done it to French and Italian Speedos. I didn't even take the Italian one apart, just chucked up the broken cable in a drill.

Unfortunately, I don't have a torch =/ Still no luck with hot water either, this thing is tough

... the entire shaft right? The disk just started moving, but separately from the shaft it's on, which doesn't seem like the greatest thing.

i soaked mine in pb blaster for several days and it freed right up.

Got nothing left to lose, I'll find it and give it a shot

After about 2000 miles or 20 years Huret's grease does not do its job spray it with PB blaster to loosen it up then regrease it.This stuff works pretty good. It seems to be a common problem with that brand.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account