Squeaky brakes

Julie the Wizard /

1978 Honda Hobbit, brakes are like 30 years old and never used.

VERY squeaky. Do I just need some brake oil or something? Is that a thing? Can brakes go bad? What's up?

Re: Squeaky brakes

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Contaminant on shoes and drum. Use brake cleaner, on both, the shoes and drum. Spray the shoes (scuffing optional), and spray some on a clean paper towel, to wipe down the drum. Make sure they are perfectly clean. Unsealed bearings, speedo drives, and chains, fling grease around. Moped brakes need regular maintenance.

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

Yessir! I'll do this tomorrow.

Totally clean and dry all the brake parts... grease the lever shaft and other moving parts carefully...while your at it do the whole bike...Nice-Bike...

Also, while you have things apart, it makes a huge difference to braking power to have the brake lines properly lubricated. One little trick I have is to take some wide synthetic tape like duct or wide electrical and wrap it around the end of the brake housing in such a way that you can hold the housing upright and pour like 1 ml. of oil in to the little reservoir formed by the exposed end of the tape. Let the oil slowly work its way down in to the housing.

It would be a good time to clean and grease wheel bearings too.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Mars™ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Also, while you have things apart, it makes a huge

> difference to braking power to have the brake

> lines properly lubricated. One little trick I have

> is to take some wide synthetic tape like duct or

> wide electrical and wrap it around the end of the

> brake housing in such a way that you can hold the

> housing upright and pour like 1 ml. of oil in to

> the little reservoir formed by the exposed end of

> the tape. Let the oil slowly work its way down in

> to the housing.

I have totally quit oiling brake lines. I spray the outer cabling insides with brake cleaner, until it runs clear. Wait until the outer cable is completely dry (very important), and the I squirt (bad terminology) powdered graphite into the outer cable, and run the inner cable in and out a few times, squirt more powdered graphite, and it will be slick as snot, and no messy oil that eventually runs down into the brake plate. Try it once, and you'll be a convert. Trust me.

Powdered graphite FTW,

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

noted thanks Harvey.

your advice is valuable as always :)

see what I can pick up, right now it looks like I'm stuck eating ham sandwiches and ramen for the next month because I'm stupid broke. goddamnit medical expenses and mopeds.

I also need to take this all apart and drill out the intake #3s so I can replace them with bolts. so much work needs to be done for maintenance :(

But mopeds are soooo cheap. I bought mine new for under $600 and almost spent that much this year. look what I did yesterday (edited)

020.JPG

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

hey guys how do my brakes look.

are they pretty? I think they're pretty.

for 35 year old brakes they don't look like they held up too well.

they supposed to look like that?

Look for even wear, no glazing on the pads. The drum should not be grooved or tapered . Clean up the drums with fine sandpaper, not shiny more satin finish. Spray it out with brake cleaner, that stuff is nasty. To order new ones measure the pad width and internal drum diameter . Those are the ones with the hole 18mm x 80mm I think, Treats usually has them, you probably will use the same retainer . Try a new set they don't cost much and those would be good spares. Have they been grabbing ? They look like they have been, looking at the ends.

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

There are little pits across the surface of the pad. So far I've sprayed it with brakleen and then rubbed it with paper towels for 10 minutes each pad until they came back clean.

did the same with the brake drum.

The brakes have been working fine, I've added another 50mi to this ped and they work great. They're just squeaky as all fuck.

I had mine apart to grease the bearings ,they didn't need it, did it anyway. When I put them back they squealed like crazy but it went away, they looked new with 2500 miles and 34 years old. Your pads didn't look bad from what I could see. They should be good down to 1mm .

Julie the Wizard /
muse OP

Brakes are way less squeaky

Sounds very good.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account