only 3 ball bearings in my peugeot 104 clutch! help

Hi, new on here but just bought my first moped. A 1972 peugeot 104. Got her running yesterday and have now started stripping her down for a respray and tidy up.

I removed the clutch and when I took it apart to inspect i found only 3 ball bearings instead of the 6 I was expecting!

Is this something people do to modify the clutch or should I find a set of replacement bearings?

cheers for any help.

Mat

Re: only 3 ball bearings in my peugeot 104 clutch! help

Yes this is a tipical mod that helps the motor wind up before the clutch fully engages so you get off the line better. You may find two star spring washers as well instead of just the one.

(edited)

Thanks cheetah chrome! Only one star spring washer in my clutch but Ive now just read the article under the peugeot section about clutches (including your remedy to sticking clutches)

I had a look at the starter shoes and it doesn't look like any of the clutch material has been removed. I'm gonna reassemble it as is and run the bike for a bit to see what it's like.

Thanks for the quick reply and the useful info on this site!

The sticking clutch really only comes in when you start to kit and run higher RPMs and creating lots of heat. Youll be fine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account