No start without starting fluid or dipping plug in fuel

What are some possible causes for fuel not reaching the cylinder, but only when trying to start? After installing a 19mm dellorto phbg on my ciao with malossi reed valve case and intake, and 73 malossi kit, no matter what I do the plug is always dry. The bike will start and run great after manually putting fuel on the plug or spraying starting fluid into the cylinder but that gets old fast. Plug chops look fine. I've tried up jetting the starter and idle jets to 65 and 55 which made no difference. Also tried adjusting the fuel/air screw. Previously I had a 21 del with home made intake jutting out the side of the frame and didn't have much issues starting. Seems like the super short malossi intake should've made it easier to start if anything.

Re: No start without starting fluid or dipping plug in fuel

Reeds may be sticking(check them).Does it start with choke? Make sure no dirt got into jets. don-ohio

What could cause them to stick? It does seem like they may not be opening but like I said it does run once there's actually fuel in the cylinder. No start with the choke, jets are clean.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

petcock clogged

Sounds like there might be an obstruction in the choke circuit.

Petcock is not clogged, fuel is running freely from the tank. All jets are clear. Can you tell me more about the choke circuit? I can't find any other mention of it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account