Kreidler Problems

Caleb Baltes /

Still working on this Kreidler, have replaced just about everything at this point. Yesterday I got it back to the point where I can hold the throttle open and have the bike run but it still won't idle. Also when I had the throttle open, the engine started making a rattle noise. I'm afraid something is wrong with the transmission but before I open it up I was hoping to get some opinions on what this could be. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Kreidler Problems

8 weeks ago, you posted pix of a scored piston.

no doubt it was caused by debris in the top end.

you said the circlips were intact, but never confirmed where the debris came from.

barring something left inside the motor during assembly, this leaves crank and rod bearings letting loose.

death rattles never end well, the key here is top end or trans inspection?

challenge is, what is the most direct route to pinpointing the failure?

drain and filter the tranny fluid, a cup with a cloth filter for the tranny fluid is self explanitory.

pull the spark plug.

hard to explain, but feeling with a probe in the plug hole, for piston movement, rock the crank back and forth.

see if there's any slop between the crank and piston.

crank moves, but piston does not.

given the history, i'd pull the top end, holding the crank, twist pull and side to side on the piston to see if there's any play.

literally none is acceptable, except a very tiny bit sliding side to side on the rod.

i hate tearing stuff down, making or buying new gaskets for a look-see.

but the good news is, the money you saved on the price of the ped can be used towards parts, you're still ahead.

Caleb Baltes /

I did what you said and the piston and crank are firm, no play and no slop. Knowing that it doesn't idle and is a little shaky when it does start, I kind of want to assume the clutch is broke, but I only know a little about these. Is this a fair assumption or are there any other ideas?

Something is loose and caught on your transfer ports when it ruined the piston. If you circlips are intact, then my bet is the main bearings are disintegrating. Kind of odd; unless it was run without mix or had a lots condensation, main bearings rarely fail on Kreidlers.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Have you ever taken off the tranny cover? Do it carefully, as there are shims between it and the gears. Some shims stick to the gear, and some stick to the cover, and fall off when you aren't looking. Kreidlers have a bad habit of the friction material separating from the segment (there are three segments). Most likely caused by incorrect lubricant in the tranny. If the friction material has come off, you'll need the special tools. If you cant find the tools (and most likely you won't), here are the measurements to make them,

Caleb Baltes /

I don't like running it knowing it makes this sound, but I think a good idea would be to take a video (with audio) of it running and perhaps you guys could get a better idea of what I'm talking about. I have had the transmission cover off before but I would prefer not to take it off again if I don't have to. I'll post a video later today either directly to this site or a link to YouTube. I really really appreciate the help, thank you.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

bump for video update?

Caleb Baltes /

Bumpin back. I'm at school and don't have it with me to work on, still haven't given up though. I've been thinking about it though and the real problem here is how low my compression is. The rattle is something I can address once I get it at least close to idling.

It's only about 35-40 psi right now. Any suggestions on what to check? Another question I have actually is anyone knows where I could buy a new head gasket... mine is super worn... might be part of the problem here

you could try cranking with soapy water sprayed outside the head gasket to see if that is your compression loss, but.

given the history of the motor , not much in the trans can cause compression loss.

i'm for pulling the head and top end for a close inspection.

i've made gaskets from thin copper sheeting, reusable if you anneal before each use.

a few peds use aluminum head gaskets (garelli) and some don't use one (vespa), lots of options there.

maybe someone can chime in with a gasket source, or alternative diagnostics.

Caleb Baltes /

I think I may go with the soapy water idea. I've pulled the top end off many times and haven't found anything noticeable that could cause it but then again I'm not a pro on cylinder condition.

I'll post what comes of the soap test later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated.

Caleb Baltes Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's only about 35-40 psi right now. Any

> suggestions on what to check?

definitely give the decompression valve some attention, if not outright deleting it, mine works great, but if you're having clutch issues, it may be related to the cable / adjustment

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

....................or the clutch pads separating from the segments.

Caleb Baltes /

You mean this could be the rattle?

My plan right now is to buy new studs, the ones I have are pretty stripped and when I got the engine the previous guy had them double nutted. And then also make my own gasket out of a copper sheet. Hopefully these two things raise the psi up.

Any objections? Again thanks for any advice (edited)

have to say, if there's an issue with the tranny, best to dig in and find out now, before running it and causing more damage.

that's one abused ped if it has both top end and trans damage.

odds are low, but possible, expect the best, plan for the worst.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account