Puch Maxi losing gear-oil..

Henrik Andersen /

Just got my 1972 Puch Maxi to run last night. Its a project i have started on.

But when i got it started i noticed that it was leaking gearoil quite heavily.

It was not leaking from the drainplug or the fillup-plug, or around the gearbox cover.

Where is the moust common location for a leak like that to occure?

Re: Puch Maxi losing gear-oil..

You need to find out if its just a seal leaking or a cracked case. Wipe It down while its hot and you should see then. Check all screws to make sure that aren't loose or missing. What are the laws like there for mopeds, in the U.S. all the states are different, you drive from one to another what's legal in one is not in the next like speed limits for mopeds it varies from 20mph t0 35mph. (edited)

(it's an e50 right?) only two other places for it to leak out of; the output shaft seal under the sprocket and the vent hole at the top rear of the case.

gl

~M

Henrik Andersen /

I am not to familiar with the models yet, but yes i think its called a e50. Single speed automatic gearbox.

Here is a picture:

Henrik Andersen /

To me it seems like the oil is comming from the top, but the oil collects and drips from the area on the picture.

Henrik Andersen /

How can it be to full? Its says in a manual i found online that you fill the oil level plugg with oil until it flows over. (E50 engine one speed automatic)

Or am i mistaken?

I did an edit on the previous post go back and look at the chart , its to full.

Level with the fill plug is correct, but you can still get it too full. Let it drain through the fill plug for a while till the dripping slows. Looks like the old style e50 with no remove-able clutch cover?

The fill hole looks higher on those, haven't seen a manual for one, but you might be best off measuring (or just ride it till it stops leaking out, then measure when you drain so you know how much to put in).

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,778319,778382

You might want to ask on puchforum.de too, though I'm sure someone here knows.

GL!

~M (edited)

Those old-school lights are badass

Henrik Andersen /

Problem solved!

My old type E50 you can not just fill it up until it spills over from the fill plug. There is a separate oil level plug that needs to be open to check correct level,

about 150ml.

No clutch cover to leak on the early style cases either.

Henrik Andersen /

Update!

I now have the correct amount og gear oil on my Puch, and for a couple of weeks there was no leaks.

But now it has started to leak again. Here are some pictures:

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account