Vespa ciao problems

I picked up a Vespa Ciao that had some wiring issues. I removed the flywheel, put it back on, but when I started the moped it sounded like someone was pounding the engine with an air hammer. I disassembled the engine, found the woodruff key had been sheared off. Everything else seemed ok (bearings, etc.). I replaced the woodruff key, reassembled, started - air hammer issue again! Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Vespa ciao problems

maybe you sheared another woodruff key.

did you make sure to get all of the parts back in the correct place? mainly the spacer that goes between the clutch and flywheel? and did you tighten everything down well? on a worn crank the threads may allow it to spin off without locktight and the lock washer.

Without taking it apart again (yet), I am fairly certain I sheared another woodruff key. I assembled everything just as I removed it. I even attached the clutch to the crankshaft before mounting the engine, per the wiki guide, to make sure the flywheel gets set correctly. What could be causing the hammering noise and why do I keep shearing woodruff keys?

did you torque it to 18 foot pounds?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account