A3 gasket leaks, everywhere. Trouble shooting tips please

So my A3 is leaking trans oil from most everywhere, I've replace the gasket three times. Once with gasket material, twice with separate liquid gaskets but I still get leaks. Each time I clean the surface really well before applying the gasket, but it doesn't matter. There are some nicks and dings along the metal that I apply the gasket to, but the liquid gasket should have filled them up. Are there any other things I should look at and try in order to trouble shoot this problem?

Edit: It's an 84 tomos, stock piston, stock everything. I did have to replace the drive gear on it, but it wasn't leaking when I first bought it. This only happened after I opened the engine up. (edited)

Re: A3 gasket leaks, everywhere. Trouble shooting tips please

Maybe you have a crack, or its leaking from somewhere else and seeping down he cover. The pedal crank seal for example.

I checked the crank seal issue at myron mopeds: http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/service/new-tomos-transmission/tomos-trans-oil-leak/

But the leak is definitely coming from the joining screws that hold the engine pieces together. How would I check for a crack and what would I do if I have one?

case vent clear?

the fact you've replaced the gasket 3 times, and used sealant suggests more then assembly / torque.

ptfe / silicone on the threads may be a bandaid fix.

where are the leaks, top, sides, all the bolts?

What do you mean by case vent?

And I was thinking about buying some of that blue kinds silicone for the bolt threads to see what that does.

Well I did a carb cleaner test and it looks like the air is leaking from... everywhere, hah. Mostly though, it's from the side and top bolt (closer to the exhaust) on the clutch cover and a little bit from the bottom bolts on the trans cover

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account