Puch Maxi Noped to Moped possible?

I'm living in ireland and looking into getting a Maxi. However the selection is extremely limited over here so the only one available lately at a reasonable price is a kick start 1989 model. There's no fun with a kick start so I'm wondering is it possible to convert it to pedal start?

I know I'd need pedals, a chain and a rear axle with a sprocket but is there any technical reason this can't be done? Are the e50 engines the same? Haven't seen any examples here so I wonder is there a reason why

Thanks in advance

Re: Puch Maxi Noped to Moped possible?

The e-50 motor is competely the same other than the clutch, outer plate, outer clutch cover, starter cable and starter lever on handle bars.That's not including the pedals, chain, hub on the rear rim and chain tensioner...alot of items when you think about it...If you lived closer I would trade you the parts...

Thanks for that. I was chatting to the owner and it turns out it's not a kick start, he says it's some sport version and it's just push start so I presume pedals can be fitted easier than if it were kickstart

Brent Bublitz /

As long as the frame has not been modified to remove the shaft mounts, yeah, you can add the pedals.

Does the kick start frame have a tube for the pedal crank? Maybe someone put a "normal" e50 on a kick start frame so the only way to start it is to bump it.

Brent Bublitz /

Mars™   Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does the kick start frame have a tube for the

> pedal crank? Maybe someone put a "normal" e50 on a

> kick start frame so the only way to start it is to

> bump it.

I think the key bit is that he's looking at a Maxi. I have not heard of any Maxi being produced without the tube for the pedal crank. I'm prepared to be wrong.

Thanks for the replies. Well after driving 2 and a half hours to see it I took it home. Looks like I should be able to remove the pegs I just need to figure out how. It already has a sprocket on the back axle which is nice.

Only problem I have now is whether to restore it as original or to do what I have in my head for it....

I've attached a picture for you to have a look

image.jpg

Yeah that Maxi just looks to be a normal pedal start e50 just with a peg setup. You should be able to just get a pedal shaft, arms, and pedals as well as a pedal chain and you'll be good.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account