Piaggio Ciao Won't run With Airbox

Mikhail Masevich /

Hi , I bought a Piaggio Ciao Moped without a air box , it starts and runs with out it but when I put on the airbox it won't run with it . What is the problem ? I though a dirty carb might be causing that but after cleaning the carb the problem is still there , I tried putting same carb from another moped and it runs with with that carb with the airbox but does out on low rpm and does not run as good as with the original carb without the airbox . why is the airbox choking the moped with the original carb ? It's an original airbox with a filter screen. i'm okay with running with out air box but it's a bit loud and I don't want to cause any engine damage . please let me know you can also call me (916)420-4118 Mikhail

Re: Piaggio Ciao Won't run With Airbox

Pete Puczasaurus /

What's the jetting like?

All that means is, that it is jetted big for the use of no air box and maybe for other parts installed like pipe or other performance parts...If you feel the need to run the airbox down jet and expect to loose some power with those stock parts... hey...I thought everyone was trying to make it run faster...

Milkhail what size jet is in it. If you have the carb out take a picture and post it.

If ya want to later this week load it up and and bring it to my house in davis we can see what jets work best with or without your airbox. Email me off my profile.

If it's a stock airbox You can remove some of the screens out of the filter element and put more holes in the top/rear.

GL

~M (edited)

mike mazzara /

simple, it has the wrong jet in it.

Mikhail Masevich /

I did not check jetting , what size is the original one ? What if I drill some holes in the stock airbox will that make it breathe better ?

Michael Blennerhassett /

If you want to leave the big jet in can you just use a faster flowing filter? I'm having the same problems with my qt50 and as far as I know it's got a standard jet in it... I'm scratching my head any advice would be much appreciated

Michael Blennerhassett /

Mikhail Masevich /

alright , i'll find out the jet size and try to post a pic of the carb

Mikhail Masevich /

can try that , as i have the moped running even with out the screens as soon as i get the airbox even near it it bogs right away even if i just put the screen in with out box .

Mikhail Masevich /

okay , will check jet and let you guys know , thanks for all the help

Mikhail Masevich /

I heard drilling holes in the airbox might help .

Michael Blennerhassett /

So when you say change the jet witch one just the main one in the centre of the float?

Yes

Yup, only one jet in those carbs, there's a number on it, stock is like 56 or something; https://www.treatland.tv/dellorto-main-jets-part-1486-p/dellorto-main-jets-moped-1486.htm

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account