za50 - e50 (possibly) stupid stator plate question

I have a za50 that has a stator plate that won't go NEAR the desired timing position. The engine was salvaged from a "junker" and (I'm sure) molested...sadly. Anyhow, is it possible that it has the wrong stator plate in it? Are e50 and za50 stator plates the same even though the engines spin in oppisite directions?

P.S. it has only 2 adjustment screws (if that helps) ....thanks in advance.

Re: za50 - e50 (possibly) stupid stator plate question

afaik they're the same, just oriented a little differently, and the flywheel is different..you have the gap in the stator plate pointed upwards and to the right toward the grommet hole? Does the rotation arrow on the flywheel point counter-clockwise?

(edited)

E50&ZA50_Stators.jpg

Make sure its the correct flywheel #044 and then mark TDC yourself and start from there...you might have to elongate the slots a bit...

Thanks Maciek, it has the correct flywheel (arrow ccw). I'll have to check on that gap, but (assuming) it's the correct stator, it's oriented properly, and I have the adjustment holes dremmeled almost into rthe points (top screw) and condenser (bottom screw).

Thanks Bobby, the flywheel is correct (ccw).

Could it be that the points and maybe cam are just that worn? I rebuilt a high-mile stock 2hp e50 with a top crank that wanted almost full retard to get 17° (in the middle it was about 22°), never had to dremel though. (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

I guess it's not unusual. A timing light is Your friend here if you want real accuracy. Never have set it by piston travel, never will unless I have to, and hopefully I'd have some way to test continuity.

Ooooook, I think I'm "in the ball park here and can nail it with a couple more mm's if dremmeling. Seems to be just "nature of (this particular) beast". Since whoever previously owned this za50 got stuck at this same issue, they filed down the wodruff key allowing the flywheel to be repositioned. I attempted to further retard the timing by slightly "faking" the flywheel position, but found that it's nearly impossible to do "just a lil' bit" and lost all ....oompf. I then repositioned the stator as far retarded as I had been able to dremmel the slots and using painted marks, positioned the flywheel in it's correct location. I appear (by the light) to have gotten about 7deg btdc, but it runs very strong. This is a stock 50cc cyl/piston/hi-torque head with a 14mm bing/manifold, 68jet, bing mesh filter, circuit pipe, new pucks, 2nd gear flipped and shimmed (as near as I can figure) correctly. The gearbox upshifts perfect and smooth at 20mph, and burrys the spedo needle (30mph) relatively easily, and even uphill. I have a 50cc tccd kit I want to try, as well as taller gearing....thanks everyone....I'm sure I'll be back....when I get "re-frustrated" enough :)

Sounds like it's doing pretty good, I hope You mean 17deg not 7 tho :)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account