Tomos Targa lx 2001 wont idle/dies after full throttle

Hello Everyone.

So I am the owner of a 2001 Tomos targa lx with only 720 miles. I bought from a family friend in 2004 for $ 200 with 200 miles; thats the good part of the story. It was ridden semi-regularly up until 2008 with no issues. It was lent to my brother in 2009 in perfect working order. He only put about 10-15 miles on it over the last 3-4 years, which may have proved fatal because of the lack of use. I got it back from him early this summer because he mentioned he could only get it to idle roughly. He drained it and still couldnt get it to run well. My knowledge of mopeds is pretty sparse so I decided to contact a guy who has his own shop that has been working on moped repairs and builds for 10 years.

HE approached it rather routinely and gave me an estimate for a new throttle cable and slide, which was broken and a thorough carb clean. ps. tomos targa lx was the first moped he owned and he had worked on many so his experience was a nonissue...Once he did this, the moped will still only idle, which he mentioned meant that it was losing pressure somewhere. LOng story relatively short, he did the carb cleaner test, took apart the engine, blew threw the exhaust, and did all his usual procedures to locate an air leak. In doing this, he found there was no head gasket and installed a new one. Then he found that the crank end needed repair- re threading of nut and threads on crank shaft that he suspected happened because of a loose nut. He resealed the intake, reeds, head and cylinder after disassembly. Still only idled and wouldnt accelerate.

With this news, we decided to buy a new stator and cdi because the spark being generated was weak, which he calculated may be a culprit for the problem. He installed that last week and could still only get it to idle. Fast forward to yesterday, I go to pick it up and we could still only get to idle. At this point, he has put hours of uncompensated work, and has checked everything twice or more. I got it home yesterday and tinkered with it a bit and full throttled the thing while starting and got it to accelerate almost fully, only to see it idle when i let off. Now he is recommending buying carb cleaner and rechecking for a leak, which he was hoping to do again if he could get it to do anything more than idle. I am a little lost on what to do and would love some advice and direction. I have become emotionally attached to this tomos so parting ways was and is never an option. I am hoping I can diagnose and fix this myself with help from the community here. Thanks and let me know if you need more info. I have a video if that would help.

Re: Tomos Targa lx 2001 wont idle/dies after full throttle

Wow! Just condense the problem now in a few sentences. The thing won't accelerate,right? Do you know the choke is releasing and the throttle slide is opening? Jet isn't blocked or the emulsion tube above the jet? I can't be online the next few days,but maybe someone can jump on here and help.don-ohio (:^)

Sorry about the novel, I just wanted to add as much perspective as possible. Its been extremely frustrating spending money on repairs with nothing to show. Currently, the moped will start and idle for upwards of 5 seconds, only when it is choked, and then shut off. In addition, it will fully accelerate and the choke does release, but dies when I lay off the throttle. The repair guy checked for air leaks, but could never get it to fully accelerate like I have.

Simon Belmont /

Hi Zach, I just recently had similar problem with my Tomos & A35 Engine, what I ended up doing is: I upgraded my main jet in carburetor from 51 to 54 (for better fuel flow) it pretty much fixed the problem with moped starting and then stopping, I also replaced spark plug and made the fuel line as short as possible and direct it down as much as possible (from gas tank to carburetor) & installed new in-line fuel filter but the problem with full throttle was fixed using another method: I covered the lower part of carburetor's mesh air filter with gorilla tape (about 30% coverage) that solved the problem with not being able to do full throttle.

Thanks for the advice Simon. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but mopeds I'm a complete novice when it comes to repairs. Do you think it would be worth taking some carb cleaner to the engine at about mid throttle to try to sniff out air leaks before I try your recommendations? I might try to see if anybody is in my area that could lend a hand.Thanks again!

Simon Belmont /

Sure! sea-foam is great stuff for that, it gives out a huge amount of smoke so you should be able to see if the smoke is coming out of something other then tail pipe, but if you just want to do a quick test-run with full throttle (and have some duct tape on hand) you could cover about 30% of the mesh air filter with it and do a quick test-run around the block, I noticed that full throttle started working on my tomos as soon as I applied the tape, just make sure to warm up the engine for a couple minutes before attempting that.Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/14 09:24PM by simonb.

Simon Belmont /

Another thing, if you have an air leak that's coming out of the area between the engine and the head-gasket, you may want to try tightening the 4 head-gasket nuts to see if that fixes it (some of the nuts on head gasket in my tomos got stripped so I ended up putting 2 nuts (on top of one another) on each side for better tension, I suppose blue loctite can also be applied so that they don't loosen on there own, also when you are screwing/tightening those nuts in, make sure to do it in a cross-pattern (someone mentioned it earlier in another post).

Also I noticed that my Tomos has easier time switching from 1st gear into 2nd gear with lighter transmission fluid, I myself was able to attain Type A transmission fluid (which Tomos recommends) but Dex/Merc Automatic Transmission Fluid (sold in most auto stores) has similar thickness as Type A, so filling your transmission up to the screw-measure-level (or about 230ml in my Tomos) gives nice results and transmission switches from 1st gear into 2nd at around 13-14 miles and then of course full throttle is achieved after the second gear kicks in.

P.S. Sorry if i'm typing too much information, I just wanted to share my experience in hopes that it can help others.

Wowww I am truly stumped! I was thinking of buying a 1998 tomos targa, I dont know if it's lx or not, dont know how I can figure that one out either. So maybe someone can help out here on that? But back to what I was saying. It starts but only for maybe 30 seconds and then turns off. I'm not a mechanic, but i understand some. At 1st I assumed a simple carb clean and it should be good as new! But then I read, if the choke is on and it turns off, it could be my compression??? Is this true? The guy wants $200. I'm trying to talk him down to 150 as is. But I dont want to get into a hole. What advice can anyone give me here. I know this thread is old but maybe someone knows something that's not on here???

theres a write up on how to buy a moped, read that. tomos was my first and id recommend it for any newbie, anyways, u can feel compression on your foot when u kick it. starting any dying is almost always carb fuel related unless compression is low. hmmm, how to explain good vs bad compression. first off kick slowly, imagine good conpression as "shit i almost gotta stand up to kick this thing". Bad compression as damn " i can easily kick this without getting off the seat and it spins like crazy."

Thank u!!!! That helps a lot!!!!

I'm trying to get a bundle deal. The yellow Honda Express starts right up, just needs a tire and tube. The yamaha, needs an ignition and ignition coil, and the tomos, u already know. Hes asking 850 delivered. U think it's worth it?

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

For all 3? That's not a bad deal, especially since hes delivering them. Still, i'd give them a closer inspection in person before paying the man, maybe check the gas tanks for rust, and that the engines spin without making bad noises. And get paperwork.

per ca registration rules, gotta have pedals to register as moped. id concentrate on the tomos and if u got the monies id look for a good running one right off the bat.

« Go to Topic — end of thread