Honda hobbit vm18 dies when more throttle

Emil Kniemel /

so ive been running this setup for awhile

1978 honda hobbit pa50ii

-60cc shocko

-boyesen reeds

-mlm peoples pipe

-mlm intake with vm18

-85 main jet, 12.5 idle, needle setting somewhere in the middle.

-70:1 premix with amsoil

i havent made any changes it the past month or so. my routine is start it with the choke lever, switch it off when i get it going. yesterday i was making my usual commute home and WOT for a bit and then it all of a sudden died like it ran out of gas. i rode about 6 miles without an issues.

i was trying to to trouble shoot on the road, pulled the plug and it was coffee w/ cream brown. i could get it to start on the stand and idle for a bit (maybe like 1 minute). i could also lightly hold the throttle and hobble along at < 30mph but when i pulled the throttle passed like 30% or whatever it would die like it wasnt getting fuel.

main jet clogged? too much oil? i see oil kinda all around my carb, not a ton, but its not super clean.

im thinking of switching back to my stock carb with an 88 jet. i would have to clean my carb with brake cleaner ever so often as well cause it wouldnt idle correctly.

Re: Honda hobbit vm18 dies when more throttle

Pilot jet handles .25 throttle....main from there on.

Sounds clogged...pull needle jet with main and clean them both :|

Emil Kniemel /

so probably my main jet is clogged. damn i thought i was done cleaning carbs with the vm18! at least i dont have to split the bike..

so carb cleaning is an inevitability?

It is when you have a dirty tank which it clearly sounds like you do.

Emil Kniemel /

my tank was bought NOS and was spic and span :(

No reason why you should have to clean a stock carb repeatedly then.

Get a pan...put it under the carb with some paper towel on it...shut off petcock...put on some nitral gloves and take the bowl off the carb...no need to disconnect everything.

Unscrew the needlejet and main and give it a cleaning.

Should take maybe 10 min to disassemble,clean and reassemble.

One more thing...get an inline filter...I like the little pyramid/stone ones (edited)

Emil Kniemel /

i have an inline paper filter but its a disk.

something WAS clogging the main jet: it was the needle. the circlip came off and the needle dropped and wouldnt move.

squeezed the circlip a little tighter and popped it back on. all's well that ends well.

Wow that's a new one for me. I lost my clip once and had to use the inner wire from a bread tie wrapped in the groove, and even that held well for a month.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account