What does the battery do?

Forgive my ignorance but can someone explain what the purpose of the battery is on my Honda Express? I understand there is a wind up starter for starting and a generator for electricity once the engine is running so where does the battery come in to play?

Re: What does the battery do?

It powers the tail/brake light and the turn signals. It ALSO provides an essential load to the electrical system that balances the output from the stator to prevent overpowering the lights. Without the battery or an aftermarket regulator you will blow every bulb by running the bike.

amen to that... Ryan is spot on... ALWAYS have a good battery in an express if it's stock wiring setup... i wont even test kickstart an express project without at least disconnecting the headlight because those sealed beam honda bulbs are too pricey to waste on 30 seconds of "does it run" puttering

So does the battery get charged while the engine is running like a car? Great info, thanks.

Of course it does. You don't see an extension cord dangling out the back of the bike like a monkey's tail do you?

Monkeys tail, good call for a hybrid/electric.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account