Newly bought 78 Puch only goes around 20mph

Pat TheCat /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

The Problem:

It's a 78 Puch Maxi 2. It only goes 20-22 mph. If the speedo is off a bit, then it's slower then that if anything. It has a second fuel tank taped to it which it runs off of because the previous owner said the main tank needed to be flushed out. It runs really quite. It emits a lot of smoke and a fowl smell when running.

My Thoughts:

It's my buddies, he's even more new to peds then I am. My first thought was to unbolt the tailpipe from the engine and see it the top speed increases and the smell/smoke decreases.

My second was to clean the carb. I've never done it but I could probably figure it out with videos.

I wonder if the old stock tank dirtied up the carb and/or engine. I'm sure their is reason it's running off another tank. I kinda doubt it would even run off the main one.

It's also a 2-speed, and I'm not familiar with them. Maybe it's not going into the second speed? I only rode it for a couple minutes, and I wasn't looking for problems so I didn't notice.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account