Persistant water Puch Magnum.

Stephen Douglas /

I'm thinking I have water problems. Every time I empty the fuel to work on the carb I see blobs in it. I thought I was having tuning or shity-kit problems. Anyone else faced this before?

Re: Persistant water Puch Magnum.

Alcohol gas, funk in the tank, fuel lines are breaking down?

Stephen Douglas /

Hmm, I let the tank air out before I put new gas in. Looked super clean from the parts I could see. Fuel lines all new. Have a inline filter (going the right way).

This alcohol thing intrigues me. You mean that ethanol additive garbage? Is there less in higher grades like 89 91 93? I used a brand new gas can with new 87 after airing the tank out.

A LOT of bikes have air cleaners that don't stop water entering when riding in rain or bike just sitting out in it.

Usually enters thru the air filter area or even thru the top of the carb where choke cable is. don-ohio (:^)

Stephen Douglas /

Can it enter through a "breather" on a bing carb? I do have a pretty high air flow filter. What about this thing I heard about temperature change going for hot to cold quick? How do I purge once and for all??

When I had problems,it was on a Dellorto,so I devised a `snout, rearward facing' made out of aluminum flashing to make sure no rain or front tire splash could enter my Sebring's carb.

But before that,the water was always in the float bowl.Don't know about Bing,but I've seen many of these hi-flow jobbies that didn't take into account riding in rain or the bike sitting out in it. don-ohio

Stephen Douglas /

OK, so I need a foam filter-(have one) and Purge the lower giblets once more. I guess.

Stephen Douglas /

Anybody tried Seafoam? It says it controls moisture. Or is it another gasket eating crack for motors?

Stephen Douglas /

I found the problem. It was a culmination of help from a few of you that got my brain in the right direction.

What it was: It was the air filter. I looked at my long home-made thick-walled intake and noticed all the condensation on it. I was warm at the bottom and way cold at the carb end! It finally hit me that it might be making (condensing) it's own water from the high summer humidity in the air! That is when I started having probs.

So, I swapped it for a denser foam one. Completely solved!

I did notice though, that the old filter seemed wet with two stroke oil and fuel. Definitely worth considering that as a contributor also. It has such high flow though, that I would think a lot of air would be getting in anyways. It still shows a lot of light through it..

Lesson for my moped: KEEP A SPARE FILTER IN THE REAR COMPARTMENT.

Glad you found the problem! Overcoming those little setbacks is what mopeders DO! don-ohio (:^)

you're going to have to explain to me the path the water is taking, thru the atomizer, bowl vent?

my only resolution is phase separation of the ethanol when it cools.

high volume filling stations, and not letting gas sit are my solutions.

ethanol free fuel isn't on that list.

It gets in there from the air filter and gets into the bowl somehow. Then,of course it builds up and gets intermittently sucked into the jet. I had so much get into the float bowl during a rainstorm,that the bike quit(70 miles from home,coming from Ike Fist's shop) and I hadda take the carb apart on the road.THAT'S when I devised the rain-proof snout,rearward facing.don-ohio (:^)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account