so i got this yamaha towny for 2hundo

didn't run and couldn't tell a piston from a carburetor...

So I youtubed, fred's guide, googled for hours...

so now I knew a few things most of all the names of stuff and kinda what they do...

So to work I went... cleaned the carb and petcock... changed the sparkplug... changed out a few seals... mostly took stuff apart to get some hands on...

And *vuala* made the damn thing purr

But then there is a new problem...

Its on... its sitting on choke and not on run and the tire is spinning like crazy

take it off choke and throw it on run and it goes faster...

alas, nothing in fred's guide about this...

Anyone know where to start troubleshooting this?

Any help would garner my eternal gratitude...

Thanks

Re: so i got this yamaha towny for 2hundo

Scooter Steve /

the carb might need to be adjusted. it has two screws. when you dial it all the way back...turn the fuel flow 2.5 times. the other is the air flow...turn it 1.5 times. then as it sits, adjust accordingly...dial it up if it idles too low...or vice versa.

Thought that was the case too...but I did that multiple times

Also I got it running once without the wheel going nuts...

Put the bike up and ran a couple errands and when I got back started it up to the same problem...

rick partsunknown /

I wonder if it is either:

1. a problem with dirty/dry throttle cable and/or carburetor slide so that the slide is more open than it should be at idle.

2. some air leak on the intake side.

with 1 being more likely.

rick

Pull the throttle cable and actuate with it disconnected to see it it operates normally.

while you can see it move spay a little cleaner on it don't soak it

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

yeah either your throttle sleeve is getting stuck or its turned 180 in the wrong direction forcing it to run full throttle

Gruff agreed the slide will only work one way. there is a pin inside that has to line up with the groove on the slide.

(edited)

IMG_20140721_125817.jpg
IMG_20140721_125906.jpg

Unscrew the throttle like pic2 turn the handle does it move correctly? If it does check the slide position. Also could try the throttle cable adjustments. Tighten the adjustment at the top of the carb so the cable cover gets shorter and the inner cable will stick out longer, like brake adjusters on a bicycle. (edited)

im currently out of town so I cant test it out but I got the part of the slide with the incline lined up with the idle screw...

is it backwards?

Large groove should be facing away from the idle screw and the short notch facing idle screw. When you put the slide in and turn it and find the groove you should feel the slide go to the bottom. When it is in the groove the slide should move up and down but wont turn.

(edited)

(edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account