Tomos Arrow wheel wobble/jumpy speedo

Logan Huntley /

I recently bought a 2005 Tomos Arrow. Everything checked out on it, in my mind, aside from a few things I thought to be fairly minor.

First off, the rear wheel seems a little loose. If I grab it firmly I can wiggle it a little back and forth. It doesn't seem to affect the ride much so I was wondering if this was something needing attention asap and if so, what the potential remedy could be.

Secondly, the speedometer is jumpy. While accelerating, the arrow inside the speedo seems to jump some rather than increasing steadily or staying still. If I maintain a stable speed the random jittering and jumping is at a minimum. Any possible solution here?

Also, anybody know anything about acquiring/mounting turn signals on this 'ped? Apparently they were only an option on US models but has the buttons and stuff on the bars for them but no wiring or anything.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

Re: Tomos Arrow wheel wobble/jumpy speedo

in reverse order, buy/sell forum for the turn signals.

speedo cable is stupid too long, tends to bind and release from my experience, also known mfgr defect, pull and grease the cable.

take a critical eye on that back wheel before you chew a set of axle bearings, only high mileage peds need swingarm bushing replaced (non serviceable)

Logan Huntley /

Not too worried about the speedo right now but is there any way you could shed some light on what I should be checking for in terms of the wheel wobble and bearings you mentioned?

The arrow has a single sided swing-arm with the bearings inside the swing arm carrier. They should be 20x47x14 (6204) so nothing weird you couldn't get locally or easily order.

With the bike on the stand and the rear wheel off the ground, grab it and with both hands try to rock the wheel top and bottom, side to side. If any play, clunking or crunching is felt the bearings are bad and will get worse fast.

Logan Huntley /

So I'm definitely thinking it's the bearings as mentioned by the others. However, this is about all I've been able to find (https://www.treatland.tv/6201-wheel-bearing-p/tomos-sealed-bearing-6201.htm) which doesn't match what you suggested. Any way someone could direct me to what I should be looking for?

Logan Huntley /

Anybody?

When in doubt check the parts manual. Or of course you could pull a bearing out and get the number from the existing bearing.

parts manual, 2005

front is 6201Z, rear: 20 x 47 x 14

you really need to disassemble it to verify what bearing, and what other parts may be needed before ordering

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account