Motobecane Gurtner carb flooding

I have a 80 Motobecane with a Gurtner carb on there and I can get it to run with some starter fluid but it will not stay running. Then after I keep it running for a while it will flood the engine and wont start until I pull the plug and air it out. Should I just get rid of the Gurtner and replace it with a Dellorto? The moped is completely stock, but I might add some parts. If I should just buy a new carb which one should I go with and with what jet?? I appreciate your help thanks guys!

Re: Motobecane Gurtner carb flooding

Does float float? check float height, meter valve should close when it is level. check meter valve ,dirt in seat, stuck open, worn out? New carb could be worse than fixing this one.

simon thokaar /

Steve Clark Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does float float? check float height, meter valve

> should close when it is level. check meter valve

> ,dirt in seat, stuck open, worn out? New carb

> could be worse than fixing this one.

there is nothing worse than those gurtners! Get a dellorto... ive done 14.12, 12.10 and 16.16 on mobys before.. the 12.10 and 14.12 both fit on the stock bendy intake with a bit of work (dremel it down for the .10, shim it for the .12) 58 jet for stock setups.

Kiel the Canuck /

The 14:12 also fits the stock shorty intake with the correct shim.

keep both of these threads going!!!

simon thokaar /

Kiel the Canuck Wrote:

> The 14:12 also fits the stock shorty intake with

> the correct shim.

how does that run? I was going to try that, didnt like how close the bowl was to the jug tho. I have a shorty on the 16.16, but its a bit longer than the stock one.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Pics?

Kiel the Canuck /

The 14:12 runs great on my AV7. It's the stock shorty, with a shim from treatland and the (recommended) addition of an o-ring inside the end of the clamp. Carb was cheap on MA from a Tomos; uses a click choke.

Generally tolerant of dirt, just enough clearance to run without troubles. Ran a #53 jet, as per Rebel Moby's recommendations.

I am planning on upgrading to the 15:15 and malossi intake though, as I discovered my "stock" cylinder is, in fact, an Autisa 65CC kit from the 80s!

Can You adjust the float height on these? I tried pushing the needle up and down through the float but it would not budge..

simon thokaar /

Maciek Dub Wrote:

> Can You adjust the float height on these? I tried

> pushing the needle up and down through the float

> but it would not budge..

might be able to spin it like an encarwi

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account