Hobbit carb leaking

Julie the Wizard /

Jesus holy fuckballs batman.

I don't really need help, this is just a venting thread. I FINALLY decided tonight I'd stop waiting for parts and just put my hobbit back together. So I went through all the motions. Redoing the wiring harness, putting in the new cables, adjusting all the brake cables tolerances to my preference, tightening things down to torque spec, putting in screws that have been sitting in my tray for a MONTH.

Fuel lines, headlight, speedo, connect halves, mount cdi, mount sides, and more.

Hours later, I'm doing my final checks before putting all the body pieces on and tightening the tank bolts. Mind, I'm already nauseous because my body's all effed up and hormonal. Just want to ride.

Turn fuel valve on. Sweet. Fuel going to carb. It should be r-.. Annnd fuck. Fuel is dripping under the bike.

Mother. Fucker.

Now I have to jack-knife the bike AGAIN and clean the carb and see what's wrong. check the seals, check welch plug, clean clean clean clean.

It looks like I won't be riding tonight.. :'( was so excited

also fuck this heat

Re: Hobbit carb leaking

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Was the bowl drain screw out, or float upside down? Welcome to Hobbitdom. Don't bother with the welch. An old Hobbit guru (silverfox) told be not to bother, and based on the ones I have removed, don't bother. Next time, hook the carb up to the tank, and test, before mounting it to the engine.

Julie the Wizard /

I haven't checked anything. I gave up after that and played video games.

I normally don't hook it up to the tank because it leaks when upside down and I hate spilling gas.

Kiel the Canuck /

If you want it to be easier to work on... just remove the fuel line and the front engine bolt. Lift the front of the bike (by rope, assistant, or like me: popping the front axle into an old bicycle trainer and lifting it with a car jack)

That'll give you enough room to pull the carb. Testing is as simple as dropping the frame down and pushing the bolt through.

Julie the Wizard /

Nice, I just did it by taking off the throttle and decomp cable, suspension, and main bolt, then dropping the top half of the frame on my foot. It was quite effective.

Took the carb off. Opened it up. It spilled gas everywhere. Float bowl was full of gas still. Yum.

Float looks like it's on correctly. Drain bolt is tight. Float returns when I push it up or down. Needle looks fine.

I dunno. New seals?

Can you see where its leaking from?

Julie the Wizard /

Ugh. That's a good question. No, the bottom of the float bowl was really wet, obviously. I could see the blue fuel all over it.

It wasn't dripping from the fuel inlet as far as I could see, so I'm guessing it came from the overflow. Or the seals. (edited)

Julie the Wizard /

The repro steps are effectively:

1. Bolt carb to bike

2. Attach throttle cable

3. Attach fuel line

4. Turn fuel on.

5. Wait 5 seconds

6. See dripping under bike.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

So what now hormones are leaking under the bike,

Polish the carb needle seat with a toothpic/qutip and toothpaste.

To fix the gas leak,

The other things you need are at the all night market.

i've changed my carb screws for allen heads, ball ended allen wrench works at angles best.

because of cabling, i pull the shock bolts, broom stick under the rack, done.

this is on peds i haven't modded the subframe.

one day i'll post my frayed throttle cable mod.

dremel a slot in the brass cable retainer so you can drop the cable in from the top, the set screw still holds it nicely, but i used an end to prevent further fraying.

it annoyed me once too often.

throttle mod 1.JPG
throttle mod 3.JPG

Julie the Wizard /

Glenn: I don't have a problem with fraying. I used a crimp end on my new throttle cable and tightened it. No fraying ever again. I also annealed the end a little bit.

I didn't have to mod the carb.

Julie the Wizard /

For anyone looking to do that:

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=moped-MINIEST-knarp

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1.5mm-cable-by-the-foot

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=5mm-housing-by-the-foot

https://www.treatland.tv/cable-end-pinch-tips-p/cable-end-tips.htm?1=1&CartID=0

On the miniest cable stop, I took a cutting wheel on my dremel and ground down the tightening screw until the surface was completely flush. Then it fit perfectly into my oem honda throttle control.

The top end of the cable also got a

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=black-cable-housing-end-5mm

I didn't do that for the bottom end.

On the bottom end I used a bit of solder and fire (optional), then put the 'pinch tip' in there and used my pinch tip crimping tool to crunch it on. Same tool I use for my bike. :) Slipped right into the carb's throttle stop. No mods needed. No fraying ever again. (edited)

Julie the Wizard /

Just for funsies, I took pictures of my carb just to show how fucking clean it is.

I'm serious as shit when I clean this thing. I don't think putting toothpaste and such on a qutip in the needle port will help at all. It's already fucking spotless. The pin on the needle also returns smoothly.

Take a clean section of vacuum tubing or fuel line and blow in it while operating the float. Mimic what happens when the bowl fills up with premix.

That is how you test if it is the needle valve.

Check the tip carefully for a ring or groove.

I use Chrome polish not toothpaste.

I chuck a q-tip in a drill and buzz it a handful of times with the chrome.

be sure to test it before you put it on the bike - it will alleviate some of the "Hobbit frustrations"

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Where's the brass hose fitting? That should not be removed.

Julie the Wizard /

It's still on the fuel line. :P

I've removed it before to clean all up in there since it just sort of easily comes out.

Why shouldn't it be removed? bad moped juju?

NEw float needle is in, new seals on route.

My inlet would pop out with a light twist, it always sealed when assembled though. I like the comment above and it was what helped me realize I had my bowl on backwards. Blow into a piece of line with the carb assembled and turn it upside down. Even the weight of the float closing the needle should stop your blow entirely.

you might be waiting a while for the carb kit from western hills, i always had to call them once or twice to check on my orders back in the days before treatland. (edited)

Julie the Wizard /

Thanks, Chris. I'll keep that in mind. I had them priority mail it so if it's not around by Monday evening, I'll call tuesday to check up. :>

DPC: Yeah. I did an air test on it and everything seems fine. Just want to replace the seals and be all done with this, then I can rest in peace

Julie the Wizard /

SOLVED. :)

New seals arrived today from Western Hills (took 3 days, so perfect).

Connected everything, checked float level (10mm), sealed everything, installed. Couldn't figure out what the pencil sized mini-gasket is for, but I'll keep it incase I ever find out. Filled up with gas and not a single leak. Nothing. completely dry.

Dude I dealt with was Terry Williamson. If you need parts you can't find so well on the internet, totally suggest talking to these peeps and helping the local honda shop.

http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.com/

Did the kit include a new float needle? Was likely that if so. A new bowl gasket only solves issues with the fuel sloshing. The small gasket may be for the silver plug on the side, or if you meant to say o ring then it would go under the air screw.

Julie the Wizard /

technically speaking none of them were gaskets, they were all o-rings.

It was only an o-ring set.

I bought a needle separately from treats.

Ah well as long as you got the new needle, they tend to harden and shrink.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

No leaks at the brass hose fitting? It was designed for the fuel line to be removed from the fitting, not the fitting from and the carb body. A rubber fuel line has a tight fit around the fitting. Takiing off that fitting very many times, will result in it not staying connected. The brass fitting was pressed into the carb body, and should stay put.

Julie the Wizard /

No leaks at the fitting, no.

It is completely sealed up.

sweet. i have those carbs spontaneously leak sometimes. must be some shit in there but multiple carbs throughly cleaned they'll not leak for weeks and then one day theres a huge puddle under it, the next minute it's fine again. never got it quite figured out. just shut off the petcock. anyhow this story is useless

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account